Author Topic: Clonamery / Clonmorny / Clanmoreney  (Read 2484 times)

Offline LeeanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Clonamery / Clonmorny / Clanmoreney
« on: Sunday 05 January 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have an ancestor, Overington Blunden, listed as living here (I think) in the 1600's.  But I have two different sources, giving me two different spellings of the place name - neither of which I can find when I Google them.  I am trying to ascertain which is the correct spelling, and whether the two places are actually one and the same, or two completely separate places.

Source 1 is the Index to prerogative wills of Ireland, 1536 - 1810 where it states that his will was proved in 1685 : Blunden, Overington; Clanmoreney, Lib. of Kilkenny; gent.

Source 2 is the 1659 Census of Ireland where he appeared as Overington Blunden, gentleman, and the Parish in Clonmorny, Kilkenny, Ireland was listed as "Belonging to St. Kennis Butts".

Now the closest hit I can find on the internet via a quick Google search is Clonamery.  Is this the same place as the above two that I have mentioned?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated?

Kind regards,

Leeanne
BLUNDEN, BLUNDELL, ANDREWS, CUFFE, CREAGHE, BALFOUR, BALNEAVIS, BECHER, CARSON, CHALONER, LLOYD, OSBOURNE, HONE, KNOX, LODGE, MAUNSELL, O'MALLEY - Ireland; ERLANK, ERLANG - Sweden; GRIESSEL, OSCHE - Germany; CONRADIE, SLATEM, DAVEL, KEMM, TAYLOR, EBDEN - South Africa; PLANTAGENET - England

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clonamery / Clonmorny / Clanmoreney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 January 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=521523.0
Earlier post on Blunden
"Google" St. Canices Parish, Kilkenny.  There is a community centre there at Butts Green.
[/list]
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/KIK/Clonamery/     

Offline LeeanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clonamery / Clonmorny / Clanmoreney
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  :)
The Genuki link is interesting, although it doesn't show any of the spellings I've found in the sources. I'm going with the assumption that all the above are the same place, and spelling has just changed over time, or according to ennumerator's spelling skills
BLUNDEN, BLUNDELL, ANDREWS, CUFFE, CREAGHE, BALFOUR, BALNEAVIS, BECHER, CARSON, CHALONER, LLOYD, OSBOURNE, HONE, KNOX, LODGE, MAUNSELL, O'MALLEY - Ireland; ERLANK, ERLANG - Sweden; GRIESSEL, OSCHE - Germany; CONRADIE, SLATEM, DAVEL, KEMM, TAYLOR, EBDEN - South Africa; PLANTAGENET - England