Author Topic: Henry Reid (b 1853/d 1895) and Eliza Jane (McMahon) Reid Descendants  (Read 3019 times)

Offline teris1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Reid (b 1853/d 1895) and Eliza Jane (McMahon) Reid Descendants
« on: Wednesday 29 January 14 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for descendants of Henry Reid (born 1853/died 1895, Crobane) and Eliza Jane (McMahon) Reid. 

My original post was confusing--I entered the children of their son David Reid (married Mary Coulter), some of whom are still living.  My apologies.

Here are the children of Henry Reid and Eliza Jane (McMahon) Reid:
James Reid
Robert James Reid (16 years old in 1901 census)--may be the same James Reid immediately preceding.
David Reid (10 years old in 1901 census; married Mary Coulter).
Joseph Reid (12 years old in 1901 census).
Mary Reid (married William Norris)
Sarah Reid (married William Niblock)
Eliza Jane Reid (8 years old in 1901 census).

Thank you everyone for your help. 

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Reid (b 1853/d 1895) and Eliza Jane (McMahon) Reid Descendants
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome
Can you confirm who you are looking for as you show Henry Reid as b1853 and d1895 with children in the 1920s! ;)

Also Rootschat rules for privacy reasons is not to name the living; if any of the names above are not confirmed deceased you should change the detail to female or male

Marriage record for Henry Reid in 1877 with a match to Elizabeth M’Mahon

Birth of Sarah Jane Reid 1880 and Civil Record Ref.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I'm not quite sure how to make sense of your post as the 'children' listed are all born in1920s and 1930s so they can't have Henry (died 1895) as their father but Rootschat isn't a forum for tracing living relatives and we aren't allowed to post details of anyone who is or could be alive.

There are suggestions in Help section (under Posting Guidelines) which might give you some ideas where to search next.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,261434.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Did find this from PRONI Will Extracts which confirms that Henry died in 1895- "Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Henry Reid late of Crobane County Down Farmer who died 4 June 1895 at same place were granted at Belfast to Elizabeth Reid of Crobane the Widow." Unfortunately there was no Will and no paperwork will survive.

Based on the townland name this might be his widow- "Reid Elizabeth of Crobane county Down widow died 23 May 1929 Probate Belfast 12 May to Robert A. Graham farmer. Effects £5."

An Elizabeth Reid in Crobane with family- says she had 9 children with 8 living:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Coobane/Crobane/255373
and in 1901:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Crobane/Crobane/1246547

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Detail found at this link:
REID, HENRY; of Crobane, Newry; a farmer; b. 1853 in Ballybot & bpt. Ryans Presbyterian Church, son of James Reid & Mary Jane Hanna; married Eliza Jane McMahon 31 Dec 1877 at Warrenpoint Non Subscribing Presbyterian Church, witnesses were Joseph Ball & Margaret McMahon; father of Mary Ann (married William Norris) & Sarah Jane (married William Robert Niblock) & James b.c. 1885 & Joseph b.c. 1889 & David b. 5 Dec 1890 in Crobane (married Mary Coulter) & Eliza Jane b.c. 1893 & possibly Martha & two others ; came back from the markets & told his family he had taken strychnine; Dr. Beamish was called for but Henry died before his arrival. Dated: 13 Jul 1895; submitted by Theresa Shepard; Irish News; NY

Following from aghadowey's census finds; in 1911 Elizabeth states she had nine children of which eight were still living; based on the census and the above article then the following should be her family:
1.   bc1878 Mary Ann shown in article; married William Norris; 1901 census; 1911 census
2.   b1880 Sarah Jane shown on familysearch.org and in article; married William Robert Niblock; 1901 census; 1911 census
3.   bc1884 James shown on 1911 census and article
4.   bc1885 Robert shown on 1901 census
5.   bc1886-9 Joseph shown on both census and article
6.   b Dec 05 1890 David shown on both census and article; married Mary Coulter
7.   bc1893 Elizabeth/Elizabeth Jane shown on both census
8.   b?    Martha
9.   ??
Presumably then the people referred to are the children of one of the sons named here
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 11:54 GMT (UK) »
The Sarah Reid born 1930 mentioned in 1st post was a daughter of David Reid and is now deceased (2011). According to obituary she had 2 brothers who died before her but 4 sisters still living so the original post might contain the personal details of living people and might need to be modified -
http://www.firstpresnewry.org/news_2011.html

Offline teris1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone.  The Newry church news article about the death of Mrs Sarah Holmes looks most promising. 

Would appreciate advice, please:  What would be the best way for me to locate the sisters of Sarah and Sarah's children?  Contact the church?  I live in the United States (Nebraska).  How do I find a phone number for people in Northern Ireland?

Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Phone book won't be much use with such common surnames but have found recent family details which I'll send by PM (Personal Message).