Author Topic: "The Charge ot the Light Brigade"  (Read 8531 times)

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"The Charge ot the Light Brigade"
« on: Wednesday 19 January 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Could I post a couple of pictures for the Medal Experts?
In my collection of family Photographs I have a picture of my Father in Law as a young lad on a pony and an elderly gentleman who I know to be Sergeant Major Nunnerley one of the 600 in the Charge of the Light Brigade.
My Father in Law Thomas Hough (1895-1985) is dressed in a very smart boys uniform which I take to be 17th lancers as this was the Sergeant Majors regiment.
The other photographs show Tom standing and Tom displaying some medals.
These medals appear to me to belong to the Sergeant Major which are now in the Regiments museum.
Can you identify them please?

Bob Hanley.

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "The Charge ot the Light Brigade"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Here is a larger version of the Medals.

Bob.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,,,what is sergeant nunnerleys first name? ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
DOB is actually date of Christening at Warrington Parish Church. Gravestone is at Ormskirk Parish Church and reads " In Loving Memory of James Ikin Nunnerley. Late 17th Lancers and one of the Six Hundred who died November 22nd 1905 aged 74 year. Nobly the fought and well" (death or glory skull and cross bones on gravestone. Portrayed in "Balaclava" painting by Lady Butler (presently in Manchester City Art Gallery. He is shown cradling the mortally wounded Trumpeter William Britton. His uniform and medals are in the 17th Lancers museum at Grantham.

James Ikin Nunnerley was born the 7th son of Richard and Mary [nee Ikin], in Warrington Cheshire. He was christened at Warrington Parish Church on 22nd May 1843. His father, Richard, was christened in Whitchurch on 2nd July 1790 and died 11th June 1870, he is buried at St Thomas's Church Stockton Heath. His mother Mary was daughter of William Ikin of Nantwich, she died 28th June 1843 and is buried at Warrington Parish Church.

James Ikin Nunnerley attended the Duke of Wellingtons funeral as a corporal.

During the Crimean war he never missed a days service and was present during the whole of the engagements. He received the Crimean medal with 4 clasps, the Turkish Medal and the French War medal with Diploma. These can be seen at the 17th/21st Lancers Museum at Belvoir Castle, Grantham.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
his service record is available on findmypast,,,it confirms he was awarded the crimea medal with clasps,,,the clasps being
alma,balaklava,inkerman and sebastopol.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to say what fantastic photos they are!  :)
Medals - you have a 4-clasp Crimea medal, a French Medaille Militaire, a Turkish Crimea medal, an LSGC (probably?) and one other.
You also notice he has the 17th's "Death or Glory" badge on the bar they're mounted on.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Neil, I think that answers my question. Any other further observations are welcome.

Offline tonysant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Readers.
                       I have recently seen info and photos of my 1st/cousin, 7 times removed , JAMES IKIN NUNNERLEY of the 17TH LANCERS. My G-G GRANDMOTHER was ANNE IKIN, his niece and grand daughter of said WILLIAM IKIN of NANTWICH. J I N. Mother was subject of a ROOD SCREEN in ST MARY'S CHURCH. ACTON-BY-NANTWICH where she appears as HOPE in a depiction on the screen of "FAITH , HOPE and CHARITY" "She being the fairest of the fair sex" at that time (1815) With regards to photos. This is definately JIN. and was probably taken shortly before his death in 1907? and probably in ORMSKIRK at one of the houses he had built there (There were several aptly named SEBASTOPOL, INKERMAN etc Terrace.  He moved there from FINNEY STREET, SALFORD. LAN after the death of his wife some ten months earlier. He did leave a Will in which he left money to a friend.
His Will is on the WILL. ADMIN and PROBATE REGISTERS in some libraries on fiche.  He also dictated a 40 odd page booklette of his life of which I have a photo copy. (An original costs about 600 pounds)         Kind regards to all and thanks again. Keep in touch.

TONY SANT.
                                         CHAIRMAN. NORTH CHESHIRE FAMILY HISTORY SOC. SALE, CHESHIRE and HAZLE GROVE ,STOCKPORT.

Offline tonysant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Correction. J I N. died in 1905 not 1907.
Sorry. TONY SANT.