Author Topic: 1st Oxford Light Regiment records  (Read 467 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st Oxford Light Regiment records
« on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hello

Where can I find service records concerning the 1st Oxford Light Regiment records?

I had an ancestor named Edward Jones, born in 1853 in Aston, Birmingham whom was a sergeant in the regiment and served in India as he married there

thanks

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Oxford Light Regiment records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
I cannot find a service record on Findmypast. This usually occurs when he was not awarded a pension - maybe because he died or he did not serve long enough etc.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/britisharmysoldierupto1913.htm

Ken

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum may be able to point you in the right direction:-
www.sofo.org.uk
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Interesting his record doesn't show up, he is listed as having a pension in 1911

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
I have checked FindMyPast again. Nothing obvious if he gave them the same details of age and place of birth. There are dozens of E Joneses I have not checked.

Try finding the marriage or birth or death of a child on the regimental indexes on sites such as Findmypast. You can then order a certificate from the GRO which will give more information.

Better still would be to go to the National Archives and look at their muster records. For long periods in the 19th Century they would record place of birth and trade against men with duplicate names (using red ink). If you are unlucky they will just call them (1) and (2) etc.

Ken