Author Topic: Jessie Hannah and Agnes Kerr of Moffat  (Read 3979 times)

Offline sallytay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie Hannah and Agnes Kerr of Moffat
« on: Monday 02 December 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace Jessie Hannah born Moffat c 1833 and Agnes Kerr born Moffat c 1837. Both appear on 1841 and 1851 census living in Moffat with James Kerr and are both described as niece. Jessie was the informant on the the death certificate of Janet Kerr d1856 and is described as her grandchild, though Janet was not married. I believe Janet was James sister. In 1851 the are living at the Star Inn ( now the Star Hotel). In 1841 Jessie is Janet Hannel, mis-transcribed, but Janet may be her true name and Jessie became her known name.
I have hunted through Scotland's People and can find no trace of either of these girls after the 1851 census for Agnes and the 1856 informant for Jessie.
Can anyone help or advise me at all?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Hannah and Agnes Kerr of Moffat
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 December 13 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked Scotlands People for a marriage for Jessie from 1856.  The free index shows 3 between 1856-1861 but they don't match to Dumfries

There is one match in Dumfries to an Agnes Kerr marriage and it was in 1855

If Jessie Hannah was the g/dtr of unmarried Janet Kerr - there should be a female Kerr marriage to a male Hannah

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 December 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Both appear on 1841 and 1851 census living in Moffat with James Kerr and are both described as niece.

In 1851 - Jessie is with her uncle but not Agnes.  There is an Elizabeth Kerr aged 25 shown as niece
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sallytay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 December 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

I have checked and unfortunately cannot find a Kerr marriage to a Hannah that would be applicable. I have done death searches, births etc. and just keep hitting a brick wall.

Yes on the 1851 census Jessie is with James Kerr, and Elizabeth Kerr at the Star Inn. Also at the Star Inn though listed as the next household is Janet Kerr and Agnes Kerr.

I just cannot ascertain what happened to Jessie and Agnes. I have info on Elizabeth, and James and Janet. Thanks for your help.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Because I have a Kerr/Hanna marriage (1863), and that I looked at this family in detail a few years ago I thought I would share what I had.  You need the original 1841, 1851 and Census, the transcripts don't show the fine details such as the lines used to define separate dwellings.

James Ker (Clogger Master) 40
Janet Ker 55
Janet Hannah 3
---------------------------------------------
Jean Ker (Shopkeeper) 40
Agnes Ker  4

James Kerr (Clogger Master) 54
Elizabeth Kerr Niece 25
Jessie Hannah Niece 18
-------------------------------
Janet Kerr (Grocer) 67
Agnes Kerr Niece 14

James Kerr must have died between 1851 and 1855 there is no death registration.
Jean Kerr the Shopkeeper is not  in the 1851 Census, Janet  is now there with Agnes helping out but I am not convinced Agnes is her niece.
Elizabeth appears on the scene, yet another niece, born in Kirkpatrick.

1858 Janet dies 23 JAN 1856 age 72 (granddaughter Jessie Hanna was the informant).  She never married so it seems she had an illegitimate daughter along the way and maybe more than one.  Her parents were recorded as Walter Kerr and Agnes Gibson.

Jessie Hannah disappears but oddly enough a death of a Janet Hannah occurs in Kirkpatrick on 19 DEC 1901, she was single and the informant was Robert Hannah, brother.  I mention this because this is the same birthplace as Elizabeth.  There is no death of a Jessie/Janet Hannah in Scotland that ties her to the Kerr family.  She like her mother may have been illegitimate. 

Janet Kerr (Widow) 60
Agnes Kerr (Daughter) 28 or 38
---------------------------------
Elizabeth Kerr (unmarried) School Mistress 36

So now we only have Janet who I suspect is/was Jean back together with Agnes.  There was only one Agnes born in Moffat.  Janet died in 1874 her husband was William Kerr (the Baker) her parents were John Bell and Sophia Lowden/Cowden but I am having doubts other than carrying the same surname they were actually related. 

Elizabeth is on her own.  Elizabeth died 03 JUL 1865 daughter of John Kerr and Janet Proudfoot, Robert Kerr her brother was the informant.  So I’ll assume John was a brother of James.

Hope this helps.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline sallytay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 January 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don, thanks for this. Janet Kerr was the widow of William the baker. I believe William was the brother of James Kerr, John Kerr and Jean Kerr. Janet is buried in the cemetery on the outskirts of Moffat. William went missing in 1828 during a trial for which he was accused of fraud, and no more was heard of him. I agree with you regarding the illegitimacy of Jessie Hannah and thank you for all your help. I will look further into your info on Jessie and the possibility of a brother. Thank you:)