Author Topic: MAGEE in THOMASTOWN, Kilkenny  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Jambee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MAGEE in THOMASTOWN, Kilkenny
« on: Wednesday 29 July 09 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, it's my mum's 80th birthday in November this year and as a suprise I'm trying to do her family tree on her father's side of the family that she knows little about.  I have few details and would like advice please on the best place I can get more information.  The details I have so far:

From my Grandfather's Birth Certificate:
Name:   Joseph Magee
Born:     15 July 1897
Place:    Thomastown, Kilkenny
Father:  Patrick Magee - Labourer
Mother:  Annie Magee (nee Murphy)

First World War
Joseph joined the army during the First World War but was discharged after being shot in the ankle.  He never returned to Ireland, he settled in Wakefield, West Yorkshire as a Postman.  I would really like to find out which regiment he served in and the history about his service career and him being shot etc.

From my Grandfather's Marriage Certificate
Joseph married Gladys Mary Heywood on 6th February 1926 in Halifax Registry Office, Yorkshire.  On their Marriage Certificate, it shows Joseph's father (Patrick) was then a Flour Miller in Thomastown, Kilkenny.

Siblings
My mum thinks Joseph had at least 2 sisters and at least 1 brother. 

Brothers
My mum was born in 1929 and she was told that one of Joseph's brothers was living with them in Wakefield at the time of her birth - he had left Ireland around that time and never returned, she thinks he stayed in England after that but he lost touch with all the family.  She does not remember his name, however I've found a little information that one of Joseph's brothers may have been called John Patrick Magee, born in Thomastown, kilkenny 1888-89 and had a wife named Edith Maud.  I'm not sure whether this was the same brother that was staying with them in 1929 though.

Sisters
In 1938, when my mum was 9, Joseph took her and the rest of his family to visit Ireland.  My mum remembers that they stayed overnight in Malahide, Dublin at Joseph's sister's house.  Her name was Lil (Lillian?) and my mum does not think she was married however I've found a lttle more information and she may have married into the Bell family?

During that same visit in 1938, my mum recalls staying with Joseph's other sister in Thomastown, Kilkenny.  Her name was Alice and she was married to Steve, however she does not know Steve's surname.

My mum does not believe that Alice or Lil had children of their own in 1938.

Deaths
Joseph died on 10th April 1975
My mum believes Lil had died before Joseph and Alice died sometime within 10 years after Joseph.

I've tried putting all the known names I've listed above into "familysearch.org" but cannot find anything relating to the Magee's in Thomastown Kilkenny around the time Joseph was born.  I really would be grateful if someone could help in pointing me into the right direction where I can find more about Joseph's family and also where I may be able to find more on his service career.

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MAGEE in THOMASTOWN, Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
ve you contacted the local parish priest in Thomastown Co. Kilkenny?  He would probably have a record of your grandfathers christening and also those of his other siblings.
You will then have his parents names too.

Also do you know where Annie Murphy was from? If she was from Thomastown then she may have been married in the parish church in Thomastown too.So check for that.

Also contact Rothe House Parliament Street Kilkenny.  They are also a geneaological centre for Co. Kilkenny and they keep a database of  records of both catholic & protestant churches in Kilkenny city & county. 

Another contact would be Kilkenny County Library Local History Department Mr.DeclanMcCauley is the localhistory librarian.
Their website address is www.kilkennylibrary.ie Ithink.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Summerhill

Offline jakel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi. Ithink I might be able to help. My grandmother was a Magee from Thomastown,but I think a different branch of your family. I knew alice magee who was married to Steven Gaule, both now deceased. They lived in Newtown Tce. Thomastown and had no family. My mother's uncle Philip Magee served in the British Army (south Lancashire Reg.) during WW1 and died in 1953. I might be able to find out more if you get in touch with me. A friend of mine often refers to ? Magee his father served with in France. I think his name was Joe. Any help

Offline ockie37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Most Men, that came from Kilkenny are, that served in the British Army, served in The Royal Irish Regiment.

What you could do. if you know his service Number, you could check the British National Archives in London (this can also be done online for a fee) for His Medal Records

I wrote to the Catholic church in Thomastown, never got any reply. For another ancestor, i wrote to Ballyhale, The PP there was Brillant

Offline beregan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 October 13 09:00 BST (UK) »
hi      joe magee was a friend of my grandfathers in mill st thomastown, a few young men joined the british army together in 1916, joe followed them into the royal dublin fusiliers in early 1917,i have a copy of a letter he wrote to my grandfather in 1916 explaining how he will be joining them soon, also a letter from 1917 in which grandad talks about going back from leave and looking forward to meeting up with joe and some other thomastown men, if you private message me your details i can let you have a copy,