Author Topic: Marriage of James McLean and Mary McNeil  (Read 1690 times)

Offline marguerite70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of James McLean and Mary McNeil
« on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I haven't posted here before so please bear with me.  I am trying to find the marriage details of James McLean and Mary McNeil.  They are listed as parents of Jean McLean - who married Hugh Lennie - .  Jean died 27 Oct 1896 in Glasgow and both her parents were listed as (deceased).  I don't know where to start.  Any suggestions?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of James McLean and Mary McNeil
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
What age was Jean when she died? That will give an idea of when to look for her parents' marriage. Also, do you have Jean's marriage certificate, which will give her parents' names and say if they were alive then, and give her father's occupation. Assuming that Jean was born before 1855 (and therefore will not have a statutory birth certificate), do you have a note of her parish of birth from a census? All these things will help pin down details about her parents.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:52 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
According to FamilySearch, Hugh Lennie married Jane McLean in Drymen, Stirlingshire, 21-1-1837. The record may be for the booking, rather than the marriage itself. However, fortunately, it gives Mary's father's name as Archibald, not James.

The 1841 census shows the Lennies at Auchaltie, Drymen:

Hugh Lennie, "25", cotton handloom weaver
Jean Lennie, "25"
Mary Lennie, 3
Margaret Lennie, 1
Mary McNeil, "60", female servant

Ages were rounded in 1841. It looks as if Mary McNeil is Jean's widowed mother. They are all said to be born in Stirlingshire.

The 1851 census shows the Lennies at Reform Court, Commerce Street, Gorbals, Glasgow:

Hugh, 36, spirit merchant's porter, born Drymen
Jean, 37, born Drymen
Mary, 13, born Drymen
Margaret, 11, born Drymen
John, 2, born Glasgow

The 1861 census shows the Lennies at Portland Street, Govan, Glasgow:

Hugh, 46, beer merchant's porter, born Drymen
Jane, 46, born Drymen
Mary, 22, heddle maker, born Drymen
Margaret, 21, heddle maker, born Drymen
John, 11, born Glasgow
Jane, 6,  born Glasgow
Agnes McLean, 4,  born Glasgow

Offline marguerite70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 05:06 BST (UK) »
I searched at www.scotslandpeople.gov.uk for marriage but came up with zero.  Familysearch mentions Archibald McLean as Jean's father - I can't even find marriage for him and Mary McNeil.  Don't know where to go next.??

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hugh Lennie and Jane McLean's marriage should be on Scotlandspeople in 1837. That was the one I found which mentioned her father.

I couldn't find any entry for her parents' marriage on Familysearch. I suspect it was not recorded, the register is lost, or they married in a church other than the Church of Scotland (it's the Church of Scotland records that are on Scotlandspeople). Another possibility, I suppose, is that her parents weren't married. Getting the 1837 marriage entry would be the place to start.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
    If Archibald is the father, then there is a Jean McLean born 9 Dec 1812, her parents being Archibald McLean & Mary McNeil.      The birth was at Drymen, Stirlingshire.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 July 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
    Marguerite,
                      You asked in your P.M. to me where I found the birth of a Jean McLean in 1812, her parents being Archibald McLean & Mary McNeil...      It was on Scotland People, on the OPR fot births & Baptisms.

You would think that the Archibald McLean to Mary McNeil marriage would be fairly easy to find, but I don't think any of us are finding it anywhere.       There is just one possibility.       It is a marriage which is just at the right time.        Archibald McLean to Mary McLean,   16 Jul 1810.       

...It could be that this McLean to another McLean is a clerical error and that this is the Mary McNeil marriage.     There is no way of telling but  I have sometimes seen marriages where the two surnames are the same, and it turns out to be a mistake.    On the other hand it could genuinely be people with the surname McLean marrying each other.

To find it, go to Scot P again and search the OPR marriages for Archibald McLean marriages around the 1810 period.     This marriage was in Glasgow, which isn't far from Drymen.      It has only a slim chance of being the Mary McNeil marriage.        But Archibald McLean to Mary Mclean is the closest I can find.