Author Topic: Marriage : Forge Cottages, Wern, Llanelly/Llanelli  (Read 3326 times)

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage : Forge Cottages, Wern, Llanelly/Llanelli
« on: Saturday 27 March 10 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help, or can I purchase CDs or get on-line, marriage details?

I'm looking for a relative who married approximately 1835, could be earlier or later, I just don't know, but the first child noted on the 1841 was born
1839.  The parents I'm trying to research are Walter Williams who married Ann???, they both were from Llanelly area.  They lived most of their lives in Forge Cottages, Llanelly.  Walter was born circa 1816-1919, census gives roundabout 1816, death at aged 70 in 1889 would be birth circa 1819.

I did enquire with Archives Office but they said they couldn't find a match between 1836-39.  I've found the family 1841-1881 and it would appear that in 1871 Walter had remarried again to Ann/Jane.  But it's the first marriage I'm trying to track and then hopefully their baptisms.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage : Forge Cottages, Wern, Llanelly/Llanelli
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 12:55 BST (UK) »
 I have an index that goes up to civil registration and I can't see the marriage on there. Do you have birth certs for any of the children? Having the mother's maiden name would help.

Best to go for the less common first name

Walter William june qtr 1848 Llanelly vol 26 pg 692 (I think).

Might be better to check with the registrar

registrarsatcarmarthenshire.gov.uk
replacing at with @

The second marriage would look to be to Jane Edwards june qtr 1866 Llanelly vol 11a pg 855
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 10 15:37 BST (UK) »
Osprey,

Thanks very much for your reply.  This family gets more and more confusing but interesting.  Jane Edwards! Well I missed that one.  I've sent off for the certificates, thanks for your help.  But I'm so confused. Tell you why, firstly I found my ancestor (Mary Williams), parents Walter and Ann, on 1851 Census, seemed simple enough, Mary youngest child 3 months, thought easy, will get bapt. how wrong I was.  No certificate for Mary Williams father Walter. So I searched through the whole census, in 1841 Walter and Ann with 2 children; 1851 - Walter and Ann with other children, including my ancestor; then in 1861 Walter was a widow, in 1871 he had remarried but the name was Jane or Ann or June, then in 1881, the name is Ann for the wife, and only 2 children I assume from the second marriage.  However, I noticed on my ancestor's marriage cert. that one of the Witnesses was a Thomas Grant, I then saw him on the 1871 with Walter and Ann as a step son alongside another girl called Ann Thomas, step daughter. So I knew I had the right family, then in 1891 it clearly states Jane Williams living on own means, widow with her daughter.  I thought I would try and trace the stepson, Thomas Grant, who was a witness at my ancestor's marriage, if I could find his mother marrying the father, then I would have more details on the father to then find the right first marriage certificate etc.  Turns out the mother of Thomas Grant was an Ann Grant nee Smith and in 1861 Thomas was living with a family the head a Margaret Thomas some 79+ and his relationship was nephew.  So when Jane Edwards came into the picture - I thought ah Jane could be, but who the hell is Ann Grant nee Smith and why was Thomas living with the family as stepson if the wife is Jane Edwards, how many wives does a man need???? hehehehe
I know the census isn't always correct but it changes twice from Ann to Jane, so off to find if I can make it all fit. 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
hmm, there's only one marriage of a Walter Williams registered  Llanelly between 1861 & 1871, the second female on the page is Elizabeth Bevan, so that's just as unlikely. Can't see a marriage of Jane Thomas to an Edwards between 1861 & 1866.

There's more than one Thomas Grant of around the right age in Llanelli. 1861 shows one as a 9 year old son of John & Ann Grant. John Grant may have married Ann Smith dec qtr 1848. That Thomas aged 20 is still with his parents in 1871. One Thomas grant married an Ann, the other one a Hannah. But there's only one birth reg  -  aaargh!

Jane Thomas is in the same household as widowed Margaret in 1841 & 1851 as well, but there's no relationship given even in 1851. In that one, the youngest child is 8, so wouldn't be a son, but could be grandson of Margaret.
HO107/1379/4 folio 6 pg 5
HO107/2468 folio 364 pg 20

Perhaps the relationship of nephew in 1871 is being used quite loosely, and doesn't mean son of brother or sister?

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey,
Thanks for the reply and your help.  I did ask the registrars office for Jane's birth certificate.  She was the first child born to Walter and Ann, and they replied today saying that all the ref. nos. I gave, only 1 has the mother Ann/e but not in the district of Llanelly.  They have said as it was early 1838 I should ask the archives, which I will do if she answers my reply which was which district? I think maybe Thomas Grant married an Ann Jenkins as it shows on in 1881 with a mother in law Jenkins.  I've sent off for the second marriage cert. in the hope that it may be the right one and can help me find out a little more about Walter so that I can get his first marriage - nothing else ~I have to go on.  I know what you mean about loosely, could be a sister's child she took on or anything, perhaps time might tell. But for now, all I can hope for is that this second marriage is correct and provides more info, and maybe I can get the first child's certificate, Jane Williams, which may prove fruitful.

Thanks for your help