Author Topic: Elizabeth TUCKER - Alfred SMITH b1834  (Read 12217 times)

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth TUCKER - Alfred SMITH b1834
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 March 14 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Keen investigators, I've across a Alfred Smith who married Eleanor Frances Flower, the marriage date is 6 March 1886 Fitzroy Victoria, and the parents are listed as Alfred Smith and Elizabeth Tucker. It's taken from someone on Ancestry com. Unfortunately :(

I have an Alfred Smith b.1858. Any suggestion to firm this up ?
BODELL, SYDES, PRIGMORE, DAVIES from Shoreditch, England.
McNALLY from Hawkesbury, North Sydney & Yass.
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DANIEL from Aberdeen, Scotland
SHERDEN from Leichhardt, Manchester.
GIUFFRE from Santa Marina.
DEHON from New Zealand.
SMITH, BOWERS from Waterloo.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.
ARTZ from Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany.
CAMPBELL, BEATON & McCALLUM form Argyle, Scotland.

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 March 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
ARRIVAL ?

RESIDENCE ?

I have done some research here today and located Alfred Smith living at 23 Middle Street, Clavering (Essex), England in the 1851 Census. I've attached the census report. Any keen investigators able to assess this information ? I know it's SOO difficult researching a Smith and any given town can have a number of Smith's same age with same parent names.. Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

I have Alfred Smith who dies in 1906 at his death certificate living in Australia for 54 of his 74 years. This takes me back to 1852 / 1853. I have done a search online on the NSW Records and found a Alfred Smith coming to Australia on board on the Plantagenet in 1852 Reel 2137, [4/4791]; Reel 2467, [4/4940].

Is there anywhere to access these records online ? I notice NSW Records charge $25 fee.
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DEHON from New Zealand.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 March 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Oh and I just noticed Elizabeth Tucker (Alfred Smith's first wife) came to Australia on board the same boat plantagenet two years later. Coincidence ?

Elizabeth Tucker's NSW Records Reference - Reel 2137, [4/4791]; Reel 2467, [4/4940]
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DEHON from New Zealand.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 March 14 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Your profile says you are at Richmond NSW.  The NSW SRO is next door at Kingswood and there are NO admission fees and it is open six days a week.....  NSW SRO is uploading the Assisted passenger lists to their website for free viewing etc...

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 March 14 13:25 GMT (UK) »
This is a link to the digitised passenger lists at NSW SRO
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs-5316

Hope it helps  :)

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Ros, a hit for both.. With both found onboard. Great tip !!
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DEHON from New Zealand.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.

Offline cregoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 March 14 02:09 GMT (UK) »
This is my first entrance to RootsChat, so apologies for any mistakes. Alfred Smith was a great grandfather on my mother's side. My grandfather, Percy Joseph Smith, was a full brother of Leeroy's gggrandfather, Albert Francis Smith. There have been a lot of very worthwhile comments made in this chat and I have found it most interesting. Rather than try and answer each individual question, I think it is probably better that I approach my input from the start. But, before that, I must state that for some unknown reason, Percy Joseph's birth was never registered, whereas all the other children of Alfred's 3 wives were.
Alfred was the only son of James Smith and Sarah Ovell, and was baptised in Clavering, Essex on the 15 December 1833. He arrived in NSW aboard the 'Plantaganet' in 1854. He met Elizabeth Tucker on that voyage, and they married 3 years later in 1857. There were 5 children - Alfred (1858), John (1860), George (1863), Elizabeth (1865) & James (1871). John  & James did not survive infancy. James's death does not show up on his mother, Elizabeth's, death certificate as he did not die until 3 months after her. There is no blood connection between Alfred Smith and either Emelia or Edward Smith. This latter mentioned couple were at 14 Hutchinson St. in 1869. Alfred is not at the same address until 1872. In 1869, Alfred is either in Botany St. Redfern or in Langley Lane, off Burton St.
Alfred married his second wife, the widow Sarah Ann Paley in 1872 and 3 children resulted - Henrietta (1872), Albert (1873) & Sydney (1876). Only Sydney survived. Sarah's death certificate shows 2 females deceased, but this is an error and should have read 1 male and 1 female deceased.
Alfred married Charlotte Bowers in 1881 and 4 children resulted - Arthur Maynard (1882), Clara (1883), Percy Joseph (1886) & Albert Francis (1889). Arthur did not survive infancy.
Alfred Smith died 7 February 1906 and is buried in Rookwood while Charlotte died 18 January 1914 and is buried in Waverley Cemetery. Unfortunately, no Wills were left by either person.
Of the surviving children of Alfred's 3 marriages, the following is known,
Alfred (1858) married Eleanor Francis Flower in Fitzroy, Vic. in 1886.
George (1863) married Clarice May Sherwood in Paddington NSW in 1902. He died in 1936 in Mascot.
Elizabeth (1865) married John Sinclair in Sydney in 1885. She died in in 1931 in Narrabeen.
Sydney (1876) married Jane Ann Shaw in Newcastle, NSW in 1904. He died in 1935 in Lidcombe.
Clara (1883) married Joseph Alfred Alexandria Tall in Leichhardt in 1903. She died in Westmead in 1976.
Percy Joseph (1886) married Frances McCulloch in Sydney in 1912. He died in Canley Vale, NSW in 1973.
Albert Francis (1889) married Helen Errington Mattsson in Leichhardt in 1909. He died in the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in 1950.
Alfred's second wife, Sarah Ann, was born a Coker and married Alfred Paley in Newcastle, NSW, in 1863. She bore him 5 male children - Thomas (1863), Alfred Thomas (1865), William (1867), George (1869) & John born in 1870, 6 weeks after his father died. Thomas & William did not survive infancy. Sarah Ann Coker sometimes considered herself (on official documents) as Sarah Ann Green. But she was never a Green. Green was the name of the man that her widowed mother married in 1860.
Charlotte Bowers had 4 children before she married Alfred Smith. They were, Edward Laurence Bowers (1869), Alice Mary Bowers (1873), Margaret Theresa Bowers (1876) & George Bowers (1878). The 2 boys did not survive and Edward was buried as Edward Robert Byrne in Rookwood in 1878, while George was buried as Frank George Byrnes in Rookwood in 1881.
When Alice Mary married James Squires in 1894, she did so as Alice Mary Byrne. While when Margaret Theresa married Alfred Howard Denniss in 1906, she had changed her name to Emily Louisa Byrne
The father of these 4 children was one Edward (Laurence/Lawrence) Byrne and according to Emily Louisa's marriage certificate he was deceased by 1906. As Charlotte never married this man, it is never going to be possible to positively identify him. My own conclusions are that he was probably already married, Irish & a catholic and a carpenter.
I hope that this helps anyone connected with any of these ancestors.
Bill   

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 24 March 14 09:12 GMT (UK) »
hello Bill,
  Welcome to rootschat  :)

You did wonderfully and provided a lot of useful info for Leeroy.  ;)

Leeroy will have been notified about your post and I'm sure he'll be along soon.

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Leeroy_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 24 March 14 11:23 GMT (UK) »
So great to read it so clear and well referenced ! Absolute treat to any researcher to see such clarity !! I'm keen to post a few questions, I should expect some on Thursday. Until then thanks again Bill :)
DAVIDSON from Grafton.
DEHON from New Zealand.
BRADFORD from Dubbo.