Author Topic: Sarah Ellen AMBROSE  (Read 5337 times)

Offline elizabeth1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Ellen AMBROSE
« on: Thursday 06 October 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, this reply is especially to janjim(*),  I am trying to do a family tree and my grandad was robert stirling  his mums was sarah ellen ambrose she married my grandads dad robert stirling snr.  I Think (  through searcching the archives) census..  sarah ellen lived  at 5 new islington with her borther james and john and thier mum elizabeth and dad possibly william..   But I have a rought birth date for sarah ellen aborse in manchester in 1877 I am thining this is my great gran  , i have no pictures or any information about her or her family i have a rough death age at 37 in the year 1916 , could this be the daughter of your great great grandparents if so i would love to see any pictures if you have any . sarah ellen had my grandad in 1900 he had a sister who was two years older called lillian but she died in child birth with her baby at 16 years old they he also had a brother called john william but they lost touch and both has passed away late 80,s ..     My grandad stirling married my gran Frances cruise  in manchester in 1927 ( they lived in ancoats  funny enough  my grans   sister elizabeth married an italian called nada tiani  ( his dad came from italy carlos tiani and played a big part starting the italian soicety off in the early days in ancoats )so ice cream selling played a part in my past on both sides.     I would be thankful for any Photos of the  ambroses as we have none. I am sure the ambrose you talk about here are my grandads mum sarah ellens family , regards elizabeth

(*) Moderator Comment: split off from another topic

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ellen AMBROSE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
I don't believe you have the same Sarah Ellen Ambrose as my family.    The Ambrose family is quite a large one, originating from Liverpool area.    Our Sarah Ellen Ambrose was born 1856 and as far as we know she died in 1876 at Manchester aged 20 years.    Her Mother was Sarah Ellison and Father John Ambrose.

jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline Capo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 October 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
After having a look into it, i found Sarah Ellen Ambrose 1877 is the Niece of Sarah Ellen Ambrose 1856!
I got back as far as a Henry Ambrose, born 1777 in Lancashire. (liverpool i think?)

Good Luck!

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 October 11 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Capo1,
Okay I will look further into this now, so who is the Uncle of Sarah Ellen Ambrose b. 1877 that we are talking about, would be glad to know of more descendants in the family?
You're right our family goes back to Henry Ambrose b. 1778 Bickerstaff, Lancashire who married Ellen Highton.

jan

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 October 11 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth 1969,
Well I've been looking through my family history now, and yes, I can see where your family fits in.    Your Sarah Ellen Ambrose of 5 New Islington, Ancoats, Manchester was daughter of William Ambrose b. 1851 and Elizabeth Jenkinson b. 1855.  They were married in 1872 at Manchester.
They had children John b. 1873, Sarah Ellen b. 1877, James b. 1879, Thomas b. 1882, Elizabeth b. 1883, William b. 1885 d. 1928, Charlotte b. 1887 and Bertha b. 1890 b. 1969.
From my research, I can see that your Sarah Ellen Ambrose married in June 1898 to Robert Sterling.    And yes, I see that Sarah Ellen Sterling died in 1916 aged 37 years.
I have not looked at 1901, 1911 census information to see where they were living and who their family was.

But yes, there is the family connection.  William Ambrose b. 1851 was definitely the son of John Ambrose b.1823 Liverpool (Daddy Ambrose as they called him) who was an Ice Cream Vendor, and who also had a confectionary shop in Ancoats.   His Mother was Sarah Ellison b. 1825   My line comes down Elizabeth Ambrose b. 1858, who is a younger daughter of John & Sarah Ambrose, i.e. Aunty to your Sarah Ellen Ambrose b. 1877.

I would appreciate receiving more information on your side of the family please.

jan

Offline elizabeth1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 October 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
HI janjim. I dont have a lot i only wanted to find out my mums grans details for we knew nothing, My grandad's mum died when he was 16, two years before her daughter my grandads sister lillian died in childbirth with her baby , so my grandad didnt talk much about his family life with my mum for i think it was very sad with such tragedy so young for him.   But i found on the census   1901 i think.  william ambrose was 30 when he lived in 5 new islington , his wife elizabeth ( jenkinson) was 26 they had john who was 9 , sarah ellen who was 4 and james who was 2.     Sarah ellen married robert stirling , they lived at 14 lavender street miles platting ( edge of ancoats) and had lillian , robert and john william....   have no pictures would love to find any of family . I am going to show my mum all this info now she will be over the moon, I am 42 i care for my autistic son   my mum frances  barry nee stirling married a good irish man and we are a close family ..

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 October 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
I really don't have any photographs of the Ambrose family as such, but there is a lot of history of the Ambrose family in Bickerstaff, Ormskirk near Liverpool.  I live in Australia, and visited
last year, found the grave of one of our ancestors at St. Chads Church, Kirkby, Thomas Ambrose who died 1814.   Hopefully it is attached with this posting.

Jan

Offline elizabeth1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 October 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
hi janjim thank you for that picture, and i know it isnt a pic of them but at least we know were they are at rest so it means a lot thank you. I recently found the grave of my great gran emma cruise in liverpool to bless her she died young also.     I will show my mum the picture it will mean a lot for its her dads mums family , am tracing the sterling/stirling  side at the minute as well. thank you for all the fino i read on here . I am in manchester so if there is anything u need me to research in the library here then dont hesistate to ask , I dont have a picture of my grandads mum sarah or of her or her family if i do ever find any will share them with you . regards elizabeth

Offline elizabeth1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 October 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
and also, I have visited liverpool this week in hope to find info on my great grandada henry cruise he played a concertina in the rotunda theatre in kirkdale in 1900 he also taught the police to box in a little gym there, so have been looking for info in liverpool about him, If you need any info from liverpool i could manage that if im given somthing to go on.. have a good day regards from manchester