Author Topic: Help needed to identify a uniform c.1885  (Read 1052 times)

Offline starrynight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed to identify a uniform c.1885
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
Evening,
Does anyone recognise the uniform worn in this photo please?  (Apologies for the poor quality scan)
Picture is of Jeremiah Kellehar born in London, c1867 and as he looks very young in this photo I'm assuming the date is around 1885 but it's just a guess.
Would really appreciate any help!
Thanks very much

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to identify a uniform c.1885
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 October 14 09:00 BST (UK) »
Your date is correct. But I cannot find a service record or a medal entry. The blue facings (collar and cuffs) show he is in a royal regiment, and there were lots of these.

However there is a 1891 census entry for a man born at the right time, but in Ireland, and indexed as Kelleher. He is serving in the 3rd (Militia) Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers (who had blue collars and cuffs) and a prisoner in the military prison at Colchester. The collar badge should be a flaming grenade.

The 3rd Bn was based in Cork.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 October 14 09:09 BST (UK) »
Added...did he have a brother Daniel?? Findmypast have the record of a Regular soldier called Daniel Kelleher, born abt 1865 in Cork. Served as a Regular in the RMF after previous service in their Militia. Father Timothy. Daniel also served time in prison while a Reservist.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo97%2f3211%2f033%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo97%2f3211%2f124927&highlights=%22%22

Ken

Offline starrynight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 October 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
Thanks for looking into it for me, I really appreciate it.  I think I've got Jeremiah on the 1891 census in Bermondsey (although he's using the surname Kelly).  Much to my frustration I've never been able to find his birth. In the censuses he gives either Bermondsey or Lambeth but despite trying every which way of spelling Kelleher I haven't found him.  I've found 13 siblings for Jeremiah but none of them were called Daniel (although that's not to say I've missed one!)
I'm waiting to hear back from the person who has the original photograph to see if there's maybe a photographer's name or location on it somewhere.
Thanks again  :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
No service record survives and he did not win any medals. There are muster records if he was a Regular and you can discover his regiment.

A really good scan of the collar badges or where the photograph was taken is probably your only hope - assuming he did not have children in some exotic places that would help in discovering the regiment.

Ken

Offline starrynight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 October 14 22:57 BST (UK) »
OK, thanks Ken.  I'm going to do as you suggest and try to get a good scan of the collar badges.  Unfortunately there are no clues whatsoever to be had from the actual photo.
Thanks again

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 October 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
Not related to your original query, Just out of interest the rifle looks like a Martini Henry with socket bayonet.

James