Author Topic: What regiment did my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson serve in?  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What regiment did my grandfather Charles Ernest Humble Anderson serve in?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 December 14 18:03 GMT (UK) »
David,
I can't tell you how delighted and surprised I was to read your reply to my posting. I am extremely grateful that you have taken the trouble to send me this information.
I was beginning to think that I would never discover my grandfather's army record. I had absolutely no idea that he was in the army, Royal Flying Corp or Royal Air Force until I started researching my family history 3 years ago. My dad then told me he was in the RFC but had no idea about the army or RAF. Then my aunt told me that she had his army book but couldn't remember who he served with. I told her I would love to see it but sadly never got the chance as she died in May. Now I have some concrete  information to go on. Those dates tie up exactly with the references on his RFC record and he was indeed gassed on the 26th Sep 1917 but I had no idea where. I thought the war diaries were only available as a complete record on CD-Rom which is very expensive. Where did you find out when he was mobilised for service and embarked for France? I will definitely look up the sources you suggested.
My dad will be thrilled to learn of this. He is 86 years old and it will be good for him to know his army record. He told me that when he served in India, he contracted Malaria and also suffered trauma after the the driver of a vehicle he was driving in was shot dead. He was sitting next to him and had to take control of the vehicle. He was discharged on 30th April 1920 aged only 21 and married my grandmother in December that year. He must have been discharged on medical grounds.  My dad said he never talked about it like many I suppose. I think I will try to upload the record to see if anyone can make sense of the movements on the RFC/RAF record as it makes no sense to me.
I will try to look up Wilfred Smith. Did your grandfather survive?
I will certainly be doing a lot of research into KOYLI now and I would love to have any information you have.

Regards Julie  :)
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 December 14 18:04 GMT (UK) »
David,
I can't tell you how delighted and surprised I was to read your reply to my posting. I am extremely grateful that you have taken the trouble to send me this information.
I was beginning to think that I would never discover my grandfather's army record. I had absolutely no idea that he was in the army, Royal Flying Corp or Royal Air Force until I started researching my family history 3 years ago. My dad then told me he was in the RFC but had no idea about the army or RAF. Then my aunt told me that she had his army book but couldn't remember who he served with. I told her I would love to see it but sadly never got the chance as she died in May. Now I have some concrete  information to go on. Those dates tie up exactly with the references on his RFC record and he was indeed gassed on the 26th Sep 1917 but I had no idea where. I thought the war diaries were only available as a complete record on CD-Rom which is very expensive. Where did you find out when he was mobilised for service and embarked for France? I will definitely look up the sources you suggested.
My dad will be thrilled to learn of this. He is 86 years old and it will be good for him to know his army record. He told me that when he served in India, he contracted Malaria and also suffered trauma after the the driver of a vehicle he was driving in was shot dead. He was sitting next to him and had to take control of the vehicle. He was discharged on 30th April 1920 aged only 21 and married my grandmother in December that year. He must have been discharged on medical grounds.  My dad said he never talked about it like many I suppose. I think I will try to upload the record to see if anyone can make sense of the movements on the RFC/RAF record as it makes no sense to me.
I will try to look up Wilfred Smith. Did your grandfather survive?
I will certainly be doing a lot of research into KOYLI now and I would love to have any information you have.

Regards Julie  :)
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline dwyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 December 14 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Julie, glad to be able to help. Likewise my grandfather's war service was a family mystery until recently. I may well have some of the documents referred to which l will look to see if l can attach and send to you. I am out with the family this afternoon but should have time later on. Regards David

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 December 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

That would be great. I would love to see any documents or any leads whatsoever that can set me on the right path.
I found some of your postings on a forum and noticed that your grandfather was transferred to The Labour Corp. Well I found a medal roll document showing names who were eligible for medals for a Private Charles Ernest Anderson 527039 Labour Corp on the Ancestry website. His RFC/RAF record shows his medals were awarded 8.3 22. I am not sure if it is him though as there is another Charles Ernest Anderson with a father Charles as his was so it is a bit confusing. I think that one died whereas my grandfather survived the war and did in 1964.
Do you have any ideas where I can find out where and when he enlisted?
Regards
Julie

Offline dwyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 December 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I am just going through the various documents I saved from the research into my grandfather.

I'm afraid I can't find my photocopy of the 25th Oct 1917 entry in the War Office Casualty Lists. This is the key entry as it links the KOYLI service number with his C.E.H. initials and Sunderland address. I will keep looking for it. If you ever go up to Newcastle, the Central Library may well hold copies of these lists.

I had more luck with the BEF Casualty List with his name on it, which I have saved electronically.

I have tried to attach it, but at 1.94mb it is too large for the max size below.

I am also happy to share some of the research on my grandfather. As your Grandfather was in the same draft covered by the research, it will hopefully explain how I was able to work out when he enlisted etc. The Pension Service Record of 36316 Fred Cowings survives which you can access on Ancestry. This illustrates the timeline. They were all conscripts mobilised just after their 18th birthdays from Newcastle, Durham and Sunderland.

I have lots of background info saved electronically on 7 / KOYLI, including the 7 / KOYLI war diary, trench maps and the personal diary of their Commanding Officer, Lt Col J T Janson who describes the incident on 26th Sept 1917 when your Grandfather was gassed.

I'm a bit stumped as to how best to get these over to you as they are rather large files. I have looked on the Great War Forum and the file limit is even smaller!

Regards

David