Author Topic: Patrick Doyle executed 14/3/1921  (Read 26233 times)

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
Patrick Doyle executed 14/3/1921
« on: Tuesday 07 April 09 19:08 BST (UK) »
Patrick Doyle was executed 14 3 1921 his wife was louisa (nee ?)
he had 2 girls and his wife gave birth to twins one died before his death .
four kids names and D O Bs ?
louisa married Albert brock 1928 , is this correct ?
did kids become brocks or stay doyle ?
any idea what happened to albert brock ?
they all lived in dublin .

any other info would be great , researching dublin brock family

thanks very much , obbie .
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogy = navigating brick walls........
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Doyle executed 14/3/1921
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 14:46 BST (UK) »
there's a couple of snippets about Patrick Doyle in the Irish Times digitial achive. Not much but gives his age as 28; address 1 St Mary's Place, Dublin.

Executed by hanging after the Drumcondra Ambush 21/1/1921 in Clonturk Park (where my wife's Pender grandparents lived).

http://www.irishtimes.com/150

Niland/Neiland/Neilan/Nyland - Dublin
Doyle - Enniscorthy
McCullen - Coastguards from Drogheda, Co Louth
Shepley - Macclesfield and Wheelock
Clarke - Macclesfield
McDermott - Macclesfield and Dublin
Pender - Dublin
O'Brien - Dublin and Galbally

Offline Pcdl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Obbie, are you still looking for this information?  My Great Grandfather was Sean Doyle (brother of Patrick) and I have some scraps of info relating to your query.  Let me know!

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 22:08 GMT (UK) »
HI yes i would be very int id love to know whatever you have .
his wife married into the brock family im esp int to find info on his daughters 
whos familys might be able to tell me more about albert .
they lived in clonliffe gds drumcondra around the corner from my grandad on clonliffe rd .
if you dont want to post ill pm you my email address
thanks rob

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline Pcdl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob, I've just recently started looking into the history of Sean and Patrick Doyle and found out that a cousin of mine did a school project for her leaving cert on this last year (she's a lot younger than me!).  Anyway, as part of her research she got various documents related to the two brothers from several sources (eg. Dept of Defense, Allen library, Pensions Dept. etc.)  I've gotten hold of copies of some of it.  While I don't have all the actual documents relating to the information you're looking for, the Dept of Defense supplied a summary/cover letter detailing documents/correspondence in relation to Patrick Doyle that they have (mostly to do with requests for medals, widows pensions, education grants for kids), which allows me to piece together some of the info you're looking for, which I will list below.  Some other info can be found in a book by Tim Carey "Hanged for Ireland - The forgotten Ten" published by Blackwater press (ISBN 9781841315478);

1. Louisa married Pat Doyle in 1916.  Her maiden name was Herbert.  She was from Glasgow (from book).
2. First child born 1917. Chistened Catherine Constance (after Constance de Markievicz) but was called Kathleen. (from book).
3. Second child born 1919 (Patrick).  Died of pneumonia 1920. (from book).
4. Feb 27 1921.  Twin girls born (Eilish and Louisa Patricia).  Louisa Patricia died 12 March 1921 in her mothers arms on Berkely Road while returning from Mountjoy prison following first/last visit to Pat before execution (she was buried in Kilbarrack on the morning of Pat's execution). (from book - except Ailish is not named........that came from my mother).
5. Louis remarried in Oct 1928 (Albert Brock) (from Dept of Defense cover letter).
6. There's also a reference in the DoD summary of a letter from Kathleen Doyle-Bolger , dated 13th of July, making a request for an army pension (which seems to answer your question about whether the children changed their name to Brock - looks like they didn't).
7. My mother thinks that Louisa and Albert Brock did not have children but think that they may have adopted a child called Betty?
8. I've uploaded (I hope) a photo from the book of Louisa and Kathleen (and baby Eilish).  If it doesn't work and you'd like the photo I can email it to you.

That's all I have - don't know what became of Albert Brock but Kathleen Doyle-Bolger died sometime in the early eighties as far as I know.  If there's any specific questions you have, let me know and I'll see what I can find out - I've been driving my mother round the bend with random questions lately and I've figured out the more specific I can be, the better.

Hope this is of some help!

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 08:56 GMT (UK) »
thanks for all the info ive PM my email address to you

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, A John Doyle was in cell31. Section A  when placed in Kilmainham, Some months later he was moved to cell19  Section B. West Wing. Personnal reasons. On Dec the 6th He wrote " With best wishes and anticipations for a Merry Christmas"
I believe he was a thinker. Had lots of thoughts. It will be interesting to see if anyone can work this one out. This is John Doyle between the end of July and  first week in Aug'21.
" The cause at the centre is pure -
the wise plan
Is to keep the circumference pure -
if you can".
Any ideas, let us know.
Private 1st class.

Offline Pcdl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this must be a different John Doyle to Patrick Doyles brother as he, John (known as Sean), was killed in the Custom House raid May '21.  There seems to be a few different John and Patrick Doyles involved in the 1916 - 21 period.

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pcdl, Thanks for the reply. Any ideas what h is referring to in that quote of his. Private 1st class.