Author Topic: Trip to Dublin - Where Do I Start?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to Dublin - Where Do I Start?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 March 14 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi samanthamaddie, best of luck with your research, have a safe trip and don't forget to let us all know how you get on.  ;)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 March 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I've got the census's, birth and marriage records and the 1939 electoral. .....

I think that I want to focus on finding out what happened to the family after the census's, so I would be looking at the electoral and parish records to see if I can find out any more information.

The family were based in Dun Laoghaire and then, I believe, moved to Wicklow before settling in Foxrock.

there are digital Electoral Registers in Pearse St Library upto about 1964, but I think only for Dublin City.
They have some in book form, not sure which ones ..
The National Archive has others, but you used to have to order them the day before ...

when is your trip?

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 March 14 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Dún Laoghaire Public Library is a treasure trove with helpful staff.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/library/dl.htm
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 March 14 16:30 GMT (UK) »
When we went to Dublin about five years ago we made an appointment to go to the National archives
(you need to have your passport to get an entrance card). It might have changed in the last few years but we had an interview with a member of staff who asked what information we already had and guided us to the best place to look for information. We looked at some things at the national archives and then we went to the National Library. The staff at both places were extremely helpful and very friendly.
Have a good time in Dublin (and a fruitful one)
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 March 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Dun Laoghaire is complex as it crosses the borders of South Dublin and Rathdown for Civil Districts
The library has some great resources that I used researching my OH's family and the staff are very friendly and helpful
Eadaoin is correct Pearse St is Dublin City only but the library in Dun Laoghaire has Electoral Registers in book form; however they are in address order so you need to know at least  the street name of where the people lived
If there is a Sunday in your trip there is a wonderful market in the People's Park and worth a wander!! and a walk down the pier is also a must!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 07:52 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it will help but have you looked online at Dublin heritage ie? They have Dublin electoral rolls for 1908 and 1939/40.
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 08:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it will help but have you looked online at Dublin heritage ie? They have Dublin electoral rolls for 1908 and 1939/40.
I didn't know about this site and just had a look for hubbys grandfather I had a result but to view I have to open a file viewer but I'm confused  do you know which one I should open :-\

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 09:05 GMT (UK) »
When I try to get my ancestor's details I clicked on the icon beside his name and it downloads a download icon to the bottom left hand side of my web page. The icon has a number and djvu. When I click on the icon it opens the page I need. I'm sorry I'm not very technically minded so I don't know if that helps.

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 09:26 GMT (UK) »
i'll try that  thanks  :)I'm not very technically minded either :-\