Author Topic: Kate Wood m Harry Brooker  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Enryte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Wood m Harry Brooker
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 January 14 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm new to Rootschat and I came across this thread quite by accident. I've been looking for some reference to Eric T Wright who was my granfather on my father's side. Phylis was my grandmother and, when Eric left her, she remarried one Cyril Mooney. Phylis continued to live in Friends Road in Croydon until her death. One of her daughters, Joyce, looked after her and subsequently looked after Cyril until his death. Joyce's sister Gwendoline died of burns during a theatre fire. Joyce's and Gwendoline's  brother Robert was my father.
I have somewhere a picture of Eric T Wright in New Zealand Army uniform and I've never quite understood why he was entitled to wear this uniform so there must have been some connection to NZ. Eric T Wright moved to the USA just before the last war and stayed there for the rest of his life.
I hope this is of interest.

Offline clivechic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information - Eric Wright was the son of my grandmothers sister Kate Wood- Kate married Henry Wright at 18 and had Eric.   Henry must have died (I haven't found this info yet) and Kate came to NZ with her sisters Ada and Alice Wood.  Kate married Henry (harry) Brooker then died and Alice (my grandmother) then married Harry.  I have lots of info and a photo of Eric as a child which I can send a copy to you if you would like and any info that I have that may be of interest to you.  Thanks again and hope tohear from you.
Sandra

Offline Enryte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 January 14 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra, that would be wonderful and, any idea of the nature of Eric's early life would be very welcome. My father, Robert, remembered his father Eric going to Croydon station with him in 1937 and imploring him not to join the R.A.F. (father was a boy entrant to R.A.F. Halton - one of Trenchard's 'Brats') but rather to go back to America with him where Eric had started to build a new life following his separation from Phylis: father never saw Eric again. Eric was a Purser (I think) on one of the great trans-atlantic liners of the time; I've have the name of it somewhere.
My sister Louise has pictures of Phylis as an older lady which, if you're interested, might help your researchs? I can also bring Eric's side of the tree up to date for you if you like.
I've drawn the same blank with my grandfather on my mother's side but I'll keep plugging away at it and maybe I'll come up trumps again.
Many thanks,
Nigel

Offline clivechic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 February 14 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply - I would love a photo of Phyllis and can send you some from here but I have no idea how we go about it - can we swap addresses or emails on this site or not!!