Author Topic: Girls Home, Whitehall Farm, Woodhatch Road, Reigate, 1891  (Read 1847 times)

Offline RustyNuts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Girls Home, Whitehall Farm, Woodhatch Road, Reigate, 1891
« on: Friday 21 February 14 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Would appreciate any further information on this place and where to look for surviving records.  It does not appear to be part of the workhouse so possibly run by a local charity?

Tks

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Girls Home, Whitehall Farm, Woodhatch Road, Reigate, 1891
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 March 14 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Probably not much help, but in Reigate there was a Boys Home, for 'wayward' boys.

My g/grandfather was sent there (he had done 3 short jail terms in Wandsworth).  He was sent to Canada, stayed for 6 months a came home.

Lived all his life in Wandsworth, but oddly his eldest daughter married a man from Reigate and my g.grandfather died there.

The Surrey Archives may be able to help you.   They found all the info on my g/grandfather and the home he was in.  You can email them, and they will reply.  You do have to pay for this service, but if you get anything like the info I did, it will be well worth it.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 March 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Found an address & information regarding planning permission in 2004:
Whitehall Farm, 211 Sandcross Lane, Reigate: Minor internal works which include existing openings being blocked up, new doors and windows (match existing) to replace existing and the creation of a new staircase.

Whitehall Farm, 211 Sandcross Lane, Reigate: Sub division of single dwelling to create two single dwelling units and alterations to internal layout and replacement of existing windows with new matching windows and doors.

(sounds ominous  :()

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 March 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I do not think these places may have been that bad, when you consider where these children/young adults came from.

My g/grandfather must have liked there or talked about his time there as his eldest daughter moved into service in the area and remained there all her life.  And as said before when he became ill with dementia he returned to live with his daughter who was a geriatric nurse.  And he his buried in the local church.

Reigate was and still is a lovely part of Surrey.

Oh and I have remembered the name of the place he was sent to it was The Royal Philanthropic Society Farm.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)