Author Topic: Harland Family in Whitby & Middlesbrough  (Read 23300 times)

Offline uptheboro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harland Family in Whitby & Middlesbrough
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 March 08 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to those who replied to my message.   I shall look at the sites mentioned, and keep checking Rootschat in case someone comes up with anything.

If prestongirl is still with Rootschat, my Maiden name was Preston - wonder if it is just a coincidence?

Regards
Anne

Offline timothypickles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 June 11 14:52 BST (UK) »
no, sorry.  I live in Preston, Lancashire!
Allgood, Stokoe, Harland, Downey, Minehan, King, Watts, Stanton, McCarthy, Sullivan, Murray, Mawston, Murphy, Tyson, Salton, Marshall, Bulmer, Garnet, Bowser, Pemberton, Alderman, Shuckburgh, Addison, Sedman, Duck, Ellis, Hart, Richardson, Coverdale and Green amongst others

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
I have Mary Harland born, I think, 1665 Lythe (baptism 10 Sep 1665). Her parents were possibly(can not be sure)Christopher Harland and Alise Poskit. The lady in question married Anthony Jefferson 8 May 1694 Saltburn 

Sandra
Ibbotson, Mitchell, Metcalfe, Hulley, Carter, Burton, Rodgers, Staniforth, Mann

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 June 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not related but have a Harland from Aislaby in Whitby who came to Middlesbrough and married the daughter of one of my ancestors. This would be Thomas Harland born 1860 in Aislaby and married Mabel Wheeler in Middlesbrough in 1894 at Saint Peter's Church. He was a brewer and commercial traveller. Not sure if he is one of yours.

I'm a schoolteacher in Middlesbrough and have taught a few Middlesbrough Harlands in my time,

Dan
Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett

Offline yorkpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 May 13 11:40 BST (UK) »
I have a great great grandfather James Harland who was a shipbuilder born in Whitby and who moved to Middlesborough. He was born in 1824 and married Dorothy Redhead in 1848 in Middlesborough. His father was William Harland (farmer on the marriage certificate of James and Dorothy).  Not sure if this is the same family but I think it's possible that William was married to Mary Petty. Also the coincidence that James (a shipbuilder) moved from Whitby to Middlesborough makes me think it could be the same family. James and Dorothy moved to Tranmere (Birkenhead) in the 1850's and I am descended from their son William Harland (born in Middlesborough in 1853).

Offline david.lyon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 July 13 21:10 BST (UK) »
I have a Thomas Harland, B 1821 in Fylingthorpe, he married Mary Blenkhorne B1825 in Whitby,
He is a Master mariner on the 1871 census and is found on the "Judas" in Poplar Dock,
1881 he is retired living in Ward Street, Stranton, Hartlepool.
and by 1891 he is a ships broker in Hartlepool and Died in 1894.
 Mary his wife is my relative.
Lyon-N Yorkshire, Robson-N E Yorkshire, Evans Staffordshire Durham Gloucestershire.
Smalley-Lincolnshire, Depear-Lincolnshire, Venters-Lincolnshire,Clifton-Lincolnshire

Offline timothypickles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 April 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
HI

Thomas Harland was greatgrandson of Alan Harland (1726-1774) but I cannot get any further back, Alan married Grace Robinson at Lythe in 1753.  There are a lot of Harlands married at Lythe at that time and I suspect they are all related but there appears to be a gap in the register.
Allgood, Stokoe, Harland, Downey, Minehan, King, Watts, Stanton, McCarthy, Sullivan, Murray, Mawston, Murphy, Tyson, Salton, Marshall, Bulmer, Garnet, Bowser, Pemberton, Alderman, Shuckburgh, Addison, Sedman, Duck, Ellis, Hart, Richardson, Coverdale and Green amongst others