Author Topic: Peter Cameron  (Read 16370 times)

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Cameron
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone have information on a Peter Cameron, probably born about 1820.  He was a mason and died before 1865, presumably in Moray.

He had an illegitimate son Robert Cameron, born about 1840, mother Jane ?.  Robert died in Dr Gray's Hospital, Elgin in April 1865 from typhoid fever. The informant on his death certificate is his uncle Donald (I think) Cameron, who was living at the time at 222 High Street, Elgin.

Robert Cameron worked as a ploughman on the farm of one John Grant, Pitgaveny, although on the 1861 Census he is listed as what looks like Robert Gow.

Thank you.
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cameron
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
MJ,   possibly a by-name for members of that family, Gow being a blacksmith.

Skoosh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The only Peter Cameron, with the occupation of Mason, that I can see so far in 1841 is this entry:

Peter Cameron 45 mason
Elizabeth Cameron 45
Peter Cameron 12
Jane Cameron 9

Address: Tomintoul Eastside Of Village, Kirkmichael, Banffshire

Do you have your Robert in the earlier censuses? Why do you think it is him under the Gow surname in 1861 (showing as born in Rosskeen, Rossshire c. 1840).

Do you have his mother's full name from his death cert in 1865? You have a question on first name of Donald, for Robert's uncle on his death cert, is it unclear? Is the relationship of uncle showing on this together with his address (Donald Cameron's)?

Sorry, questions, questions  :P ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi emjaye

Gosh this is a hard one for you  :-\ Been having another look. See from young Robert's death entry where all the info is from.

An Uncle Donald Cameron, living at 222 High Street, Elgin shows as informant.

No surname showing for mother Jane who is also deceased, but I wish I could read the words after her name...I have attached a snippet below.

I can also see why you might think the Robert Gow may be your Robert Cameron, from that 1861 census entry given he shows as ploughman in the right age group and living at St Andrews Lhanbryd...but I would keep your options open for now just in case. Your Robert Cameron may have been born a little earlier perhaps as ages on censuses, as you know, can vary a bit.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Achany/Achary?

The Rental Book for the Duke of Gordon's tenants in Strathavon, Tomintoul, 1821, is not overburdened with Camerons.
James Cameron, Innerchebil, "A good responsible tenant".
Tombreck, Donald Cameron, Donald Cameron jnr & James Cameron together with a few MacDonalds. No adverse comments.

Skoosh.

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

Monica, the reason I thought this may be the right Robert Cameron is that the information regarding his working for the farmer John Grant at Pitgaveny came from a "Register of Corrected Entries" attached to the birth certificate of his son (another) Robert Cameron born 11 Feb 1857, illegitimate. Mother is one Jessie Harrold, born Dallas abt 1834.

I had previously found Jessie in the 1861 Census, at Easter Calcot's Bothy, St Andrews Lhanbryd, and when I purchased the actual census image yesterday from ScotlandsPeople I realised that she was working in the next door household to the farmer John Grant.

It does seem like too much of a coincidence and I thought perhaps Robert may have been "Gow" because it was his mother's surname......Jane ??   A bit of a stretch, I know, but possible.

Plus, the usual residence given on 1865 death certificate is given as Calcots, St Andrews Lhanbryd. However, this is just a Census, so proves nothing one way or the other.

Obviously though the birthplace of Rosskeen is a giant spanner in my theory, lol!!
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 07:52 GMT (UK) »
If you have not already seen it, it is always worth looking at the free Libindx site which gives genealogical information from the area and allows you to to search for individuals.

The minutes of the kirk sessions are held in the National Archives in Edinburgh, but are available as digitised versions in some other archives. They deal with cases of illegitimacy. Every instance I've come across when "reputed father" has been given on a death certificate has been confirmed as accurate by checking the session minutes.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Emjaye, the extra info you have regarding Robert and his son Robert b. 1857 certainly add to that 1861 census entry being the right one with Robert as Gow.

Have you found him in earlier censuses? I have struggled for 1841 and 1851. Thought maybe he might show under a mother's maiden name...but we don't know what that is. Also, she may have married after Robert's c.1840 birth and show in censuses under a different surname again. However, as father Peter, we have both deceased by 1865.

The fact that it was 'Uncle Donald' that reported Robert's death would imply that Robert kept in touch with his father's family over the years don't you think? I tried searching for a Donald Cameron on 1861 and 1871 in Elgin parish and nothing as yet jumping out.

Graham's comments re Kirk Session minutes is always a good way forward but would be good to have a better steer (rather than just one census) on Robert's place of birth. However, jumping a generation, there could be a mention for Robert's birth from 1857 and maybe a reference to where father Robert was from?

Monica

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Yes, thank you GR2, I discovered Libindx a few years ago, it is certainly an amazing tool. If only the other councils would follow their example.

As for the Kirk Sessions Records, I so wish I was able to access those. Unfortunately I am in Queensland, Australia so the tyranny of distance makes that impossible.

Like you, Monica, I have been unable to find Robert in the earlier census', or Peter or Donald. No luck with Libindx either.

Just not enough information to go on unfortunately. Many thanks for your help. Maybe there is someone out there who knows about Donald from 222 High Street.

Cheers......