Author Topic: Stewarts of Piccadilly St.  (Read 3811 times)

Offline alimc65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Piccadilly St.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 July 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

Thanks for answering and I hope your life is on the up and you get back into your research again soon. 
I have found out something else about Alexander Brogan in the last few days - he was killed in WWI on 15 April 1917 on the SS Cameronia, sunk by a German U-boat. AS he was only 25 when he died I could only imagine that Susan would have remarried.  My Dad does not remember having an Aunty Susan.

Best of luck
Alison

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 July 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
Alison,
Thanks for that very interesting piece of info re Alexander Brogan and his wife Susan Stewart, Susan did indeed remarry and that is another line of research in the Durham area, because that is where she moved to from Glasgow, she apparantly remarried a man with a name similar to Doughty, Doherty, Docherty or Dowty.
The fact that Alexander died when he was 25 discredits a piece of family info I received from an aunt, a  niece of Susan, that she had 25 pregnancies between two husbands. Other info I had from her was also discredited though it was given by her in good faith.

Thanks
James

Offline Sinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 December 21 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi I too am researching Susan Stewart from 51 Piccadilly Street. She had 3 children with Alexander before he died on the ship called Cameronia. Two of her sons died in infancy and her surviving son was called Michael. She went on to marry William McGowan in 1919 and had several other children with him. What I’m stuck on is that Michael Brogan my grandads birth certificate shows he was born on 16th June 1917 to Alexander and Susan but his Army service records show his dob as 17th June 1916. His marriage certificate also said his deceased father was called Michael and so did Susan’s death certificate show Michael Brogan as being her previous husband. The only photos I have are of my fathers wedding day when Michael and his step sister Jane Ann (Jean) Johnston attended but I don’t think any other family from my dads side did apart from Jean had a young girl with her but I don’t believe she had any children and there was a lady with glasses who nobody seems to remember who she is.

Offline Sinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 December 21 09:05 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo of my parents wedding and Jane Ann Johnston known as Jean is on the first left with an unknown child that she brought to the wedding with her and I would also like to find out who the lady with glasses on but without a hat is. Jean Johnston is Susan Stewart and William McGowan's daughter born 1920