Author Topic: [REQ] Birth Lookup  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
[REQ] Birth Lookup
« on: Friday 24 October 14 04:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth date of an ancestor whose surname has been misspelled, and as a result I am unable to find him on the Historical Records website.  I know for a fact that he was born in New Zealand, and also know his parents names and the date that he died.

Is there anyone here who would be able to do a search based on his first name/s, and parents first name/s?

Information I have is that his (correct) name is John Thomas Sinnamon, parents are Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon and Anne Jane, nee Brady.  He died on the 23rd September 1908, aged 36.

Any assistance most appreciated, as I cannot even order his Birth Certificate/Printout without this information.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: [REQ] Birth Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 October 14 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

This could be his birth

1874/23097   Sinnamon    NR    Ann Jane   Hugh

the date was 2/12/1873

Cheers Janette

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 October 14 04:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Janette, but that is actually his younger brother William's birth - he died in infancy.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 October 14 04:59 BST (UK) »
Just noticed that his age when he died is recorded as 36 by BDM Historical Records, but on his headstone it says he was 37.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 October 14 05:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can only see Margaret in 1870 and then the younger brother in 1874 in the expected time frame.

Any chance whatsoever that the family were living in NZ but birthed a son on board a ship travelling somewhere for a visit?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 October 14 05:03 BST (UK) »
No, there is no chance of that.  It is definitely much more likely that his surname has been misspelled, as I had the same problem when trying to find the Death Record for his father.  The surname had been misspelled on that occasion.

So, if you're searching for John Thomas Sinnamon using his correct surname, you will not be able to find him.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 October 14 08:34 BST (UK) »

"....... I know for a fact that he was born in New Zealand"

Why are you so certain that he is born in NZ?

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 October 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
There is always a chance his birth wasn't registered,I have 3 from the 1870's with no recorded birth,if folk were too far from civilization it often didn't get done

Cheers Janette

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 October 14 08:53 BST (UK) »

The name gives much potential for spelling variation, but it would be a phonetic interpretation, so even....hm.....10 or 12 variations....you would expect to find the birth record.

If this family were settled ie not much moving around you could try church christening records in the area where they lived?