Author Topic: N. Devon Rescue & Preventive Centre 1920s  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Kryssy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
N. Devon Rescue & Preventive Centre 1920s
« on: Friday 24 October 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have newspaper cuttings about an aunt who stole from her employer in 1924 - bad girl!!  She was bound over for a year and put in the care of a Sister Harper of the North Devon Rescue & Preventive Centre.  I cannot find any record or information about this centre so obviously it no longer exists.  I suspect it was run by nuns since Sister Harper was mentioned.  Can anyone possibly guide me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: N. Devon Rescue & Preventive Centre 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 October 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have newspaper cuttings about an aunt to stole from her employer in 1924 - bad girl!!  She was bound over for a year and put in the care of a Sister Harper of the North Devon Rescue & Preventive Centre.  I cannot find any record or information about this centre so obviously it no longer exists.  I suspect it was run by nuns since Sister Harper was mentioned.  Can anyone possibly guide me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Is your relative VNB? in which case I see her case in Western Times 1924..

I think the sisters were either Anglican Nuns or Nursing Sisters

There is an article in The North Devon Journal 23 July 1925. Also the attached Western Times May 1916

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Kryssy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: N. Devon Rescue & Preventive Centre 1920s
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning Deebel. 
Thank you for such detailed information.  Yes, my aunt was VNB and I have spent many months trying to find out what happened to her since 1911 (the last census).  It doesn't appear she ever married but at least I know she was in Devon during 1924/5, even if it wasn't for a summer holiday.  I know it must be her since she was arrested in Chiswick - her family home.  She would have been 16 at the time so obviously eligible for correction rather than imprisonment.  I will continue to search and thank you again.
Kryssy