Author Topic: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?completed  (Read 42371 times)

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rupali,

I'm afraid the Broderick/Brotherick family barely features in my tree. In fact until I came here, I wasn't aware that it featured at all.

For general information however, I took a walk around the small cemetery attached to the Church of Our Lady this morning. There were a lot of the old Seaton Sluice names there that I recognised, but no Brodericks. That isn't to say they don't exist there, many of the inscriptions were illegible and I suspect that some of the graves themselves were no longer visible. I've been told that a list has been compiled of all the burials, so I'll see if I can obtain a copy.
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 December 08 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi My family have lived seaton sluice/old hartley since 1500s just about all burials until 1900 were at Earsdon cemetery(ST Albans) after about 1900 Seaton private churchyard was allowed to be used.  You will find the odd ancestor in Whitley cemetery as well as Blyth links cemetery  The church yard at Earsdon is in a poor state as most of the graves are on the slope of the hill and are difficult find and not safe to walk around.   Andrea

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 December 08 00:25 GMT (UK) »
What surnames are you researching Andrea? My family were in Seaton Sluice from the late 1700s, so we may have some common ancestors.

Ann

Vezey, London

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 December 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann my family in Seaton sluice started with the Learmouths on to Twizzel Black Swan Robinson         1800s were Cooks Hall Richardson and langley  Thomas langley (The Hartley Hero) being my great grandfather. his children married Hay Stott Humble Sharp Dickinson Clark Brown all from around the Sluice Old hartley new Hartley and Hollywell area.  Andrea 

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 December 08 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Some of those surnames are familiar, and I certainly know of Thomas Langley, although I think Dickinson is the only name who could link to me.

At the risk of sounding like "Little Britain", for a long time, my family were the only Dickinsons in the village. In the late 1800s, another and much more prolific family, also called Dickinson moved there, so you may be tied into their family rather than mine. One or two of them still live in Seaton Sluice. Do you have any further details of the Dickinsons in your tree?

Another member here is researching the Brotherick family, who were also living in Seaton Sluice at that time. We've established a link between her family and mine that I was unaware of. It was a tight community in the 1800s and there were a lot of intermarriages.

Vezey, London

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 December 08 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again  The Dickinsons in my family are through my mothers cousin Sarah(Sally) Sharp marring Wesley Dickinson  I,m told by the Dickinsons still iving at the Sluice that  some of them were lay preachers in the Methodist church  they had a  garage next to the Delaval Arms which was pulled down and a row of houses are on the site now.   my Grandmother  lived at the Dovecote and Bertram place and my mother was born East End which is now a farmers field  Miss Crisp was my teacher at Blyth Grammar school and my mother new the Elders very well.  My mothers cousins still living in the area were Laidler Hay Sharp Gleghorn Dixon Langley Smith Stott Humble  and Willey I,ll check out Brotherick to see if they are in my tree anywhere.. Andrea

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 December 08 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

It's the "other" Dickinson family that you're tied into, although if we go back far enough, there's a good chance there'll be a connection somewhere. I do have an unconfirmed marriage between Eleanor (Ellen) Sankey Dickinson and Joseph Sharp. Ellen was born in 1859.

The Miss Crisp you mention is probably John Harris Crisp's daughter. Her cousin, Mary Ann (Minnie) Johnson taught at the local school in Seaton Sluice for many years. Another cousin, Jen Crisp also taught, although she moved away from the area when she married William Batton. My grandfather, John (Jack) Dickinson, who was a second cousin to Miss Crisp and first cousin to Minnie and Jen also trained as a teacher, although he never worked as one.  (I often wonder if his cousins, all of whom were older than him, had taken all the available jobs by the time he qualified!!) He actually moved to Hebburn to find work as timekeeper at Hawthorn Leslie's shipyard.

It fascinates me, that at a time when women were expected to leave school, marry and raise a family, that that particular generation of my family clearly believed in educating their daughters as well as their sons.

The Elders appear first in my family in my great great great grandfather's generation and then again in the next generation. They were seafarers and had moved to Seaton Sluice from Suffolk. When I first started researching my family history, some 25 years ago, I had some long talks with Nancy Elder, who, as a child, had lived next door to my family on Rocky Island.

Vezey, London

Offline micksharp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 December 08 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Belhay

Do you have any other Sharp names in your family? My family are from Hartley / Murton / Shiremoor via Yorkshire and Durham - GGGranda William Sharp (not involved in Hartley Pit Disaster, later in Ashington), GGranda Luke Sharp, Granda Walter Sharp.

I recently went on a hunt in Earsdon cemetery as Luke and my other GGranda Hugh Millar are in there somewhere - it's a mess if you want to find graves (only as far back as 1930 and 1943!) but a great nature reserve!

Thanks, Mick Sharp

Sharp Millar Middleton Brooks
Sharp (Yorshire, Durham Northumberland)
Millar, Miller (Bannockburn, Edinburgh)
Brooks, Middleton, Liddle, Sutcliffe

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 January 09 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi My mothers aunt was mary elizabeth cook langley who married Watson sharp at old hartley about 1900. They had children Watson Dryden Sarah Mary Ada Minnie.  I,ve lists of sharps in the hartley/sluice area and can check out deaths for EARSDON when I,m down at Woodhorn colliery archives(Northumberland archives)  Unlike the churches in my area the Earsdon vicar keeps the only copy of the plan of the cemetery and the church is not open daily so whenever I,m down visiting relatives I,m not able to get any information.  Most of the graves from about 1900and up to 1960 at least were built into the side of the hill and the area has eroded so its quite dangerous to walk on. When I have time in the new year I,ll dig out the list off Sharps that I have.