Author Topic: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London  (Read 33861 times)

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 31 March 13 14:18 BST (UK) »
Where does Pamela Wells Garrett fit into the family? Who was her father. I'd like to include her with my tree, too. I was told that that branch of the family kept Wells as part of their name to keep some good luck in the family. From what I've seen, it seems to have worked well.
 My ancestor Richard Garrett(1834-         , seems to have disappeared from London after the death of his wife Elizabeth Maher in 1887. I saw some things that suggested he may have followed one of this sons to Canada.
 Our Garrett branches seem to have gone to America, New Zealand, Australia and Canada.
John

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 31 March 13 14:39 BST (UK) »
I just found the branch....Pamela being the daughter of Francis Wells Garrett and Mary Ann Lucock, and that she married in 1912 to Walter Shoubridge. I think I had skipped Francis Wells Garrett because of the other Frank Wells Garrett who had died in infancy....perhaps circa 1877.

If you are David Cotty, then we are 4th cousins....

Offline CottyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 01 April 13 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes. I am David Cotty.Family history is absolutely fascinating,especially the stories which mainly turn out to be myths,which throw you of course.The Pask Family History site fills in many missing bits,however cannot get beyond Francis Luke Garrett and Elizabeth Wells,have no idea where they came from,with the myths about the connections to the Garretts of Leiston,Suffolk have wasted hours looking for a possible Suffolk connection.Nothing found.However some years ago we found a possible connection to Church Stretton,Shropshire, a long way from Southwark and Suffolk.However recently found on the Mormon site a Francis Garrett born 8.3.1776 in Maddington,WiltshireCantconfirm either record as being our ancestor.My Cotty ancestors have been much easier all dirt poor,got back to 1650.Cheers

Offline derbs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 12 October 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
Did your Garrett marry Tutt early 1900s Peckham? If so their children are cousins to my dad aged 97. He often talks of the Garrett boys
Tutt      CAMBERWELL BRIGHTON SUSSEX
Kearney DUBLIN
Body ARLINGTON SUSSEX BRIGHTON SUSSEX
Birchenough
Delaney CAMBERWELL LAMBETH
Lee CAMBERWELL SOUTHWARK
Delaney CAMBERWELL LAMBETH
White  CHELSEA CAMBERWELL
Lambert CAMBERWELL LAMBETH

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 12 October 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
At present, I don't know if those names come in our Garrett tree. Further investigations would have to be done.
Thank you.

Offline CottyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 13 October 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Do not have any knowledge of a Tutt in our family tree. However I do know that Francis Wells Garret lived in Peckham in 1915, because when his son Frank was killed in January 1915 near Ypres Francis was listed as his next of kin living in Peckham.Sorry cant help any further at present.Cheers Dave

Offline LouGarrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 21:31 GMT (UK) »
HI

My name is Louise Wells-Garrett - daughter of Thomas, born 1943 (Southwark) who is the son of Thomas (see below) and Daisy Wells-Garrett (nee Daisy Dillion) also of Southwark.  I know my father is the cousin of Arthur Wells-Garrett (who lives in Dulwich, London). I know my grandfather had connections to Bear Lane in Waterloo and also had relatives in Bognor, E SUssex but this is really all I know. Sadly my grandfather died in service in the Second World War and never got to see his son, my dad. I'd love to know the history of the Wells-Garretts and who put Wells and Garrett together.

Thomas Wells Garrett (my grandad)
ca. 1912
United Kingdom Death December 03, 1942 Burial / Funeral Salcombe (bonfire Hill) Cemetery Sec. 5. Grave 173., Military Service Service number: d/kx 129243
Regiment: Royal Navy
Unit/ship/squadron: H.m.s. Penylan Gender Male

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather George James Garrett 1867-1948, son of Richard Garrett and Elizabeth Maher had a brother Thomas John Garrett born 1869.
A cousin was named Thomas Wells Garrett 1848-1934. A number of our cousins used Wells as a middle name as good luck. Another Garrett's maiden name was Wells.
This Thomas Wells Garrett seems to have gone to Canada.

Offline LouGarrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I should say my grandad Thomas, was the Son of Arthur and Ellen Wells-Garrett of London.

Yes - I had heard there were relations in Canada.