Author Topic: FRYER Family  (Read 14442 times)

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
Re: FRYER Family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Thank you for that.

I have been able to download it so no worries there.

Do you know any more on this family?

My links are Emily (now thought to be Emily Elizabeth) Fryer (variously spelled!) and her brother Robert who visited her very conveniently at the time of the 1911 Census - he was a widower and was aged 80 born in Antrim.

Colin

YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
Coincidence ?
Irish Genealogy shows
A Thomas Fryer of Fisher St and Ellen Murphy getting married 20 Sep 1834 in Kinsale.R Catholic
Two births in Fisher St
Robert 3 Sep 1837
Catherine 12 Feb 1839

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 16:20 BST (UK) »
Maybe but my Robert was born 1831... according to his 1911 Census entry!

Colin
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
Re the death on the headstone 1892
Calendar of wills shows
Henry Charles Fryer late of Kinsale died 26 Oct 1892 to Charles George Fryer of Winmondhaun,Norfolk a Clerk and Catherine Fryer spinster of Cambridge Road,Rathmines,Dublin.  effects 2,518 pounds 15s 2d
Possibly Catherine Fryer age 45 at 173 Palmerston Rd on 1901 Census Dublin.

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 July 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

...a year later... I have pretty well fathomed out that my Emily Elizabeth Fryer born 1851 decd 1935 was NOT the daughter of William Fryer and his wife Lydia from Brecon/Radnor.

That William was not the William Fryer who joined the Excise in 1843 (I have his enrolment papers) but they included nothing of his postings - I still hope I will find he was in Strabane in 1851-4....

I have also fathomed out that Robert Fryer b Antrim 1831 was the son of Samuel Fryer and Eliza probably of Aghalee Townland just south of Shankill. Robert married Margaret Bell in Shankill Church Lurgan and they moved to Coatbridge, Lanark where they had a big family.

Aghalee was full to busting of Fryers, Friers, Fryars and Friars (the vicar must have been hard of hearing or the Family were not clearly spoken!) The adjoining Townlands in Antrim, those immediately adjoining in Armagh and Down also have these family names and this is also where my Pentland Family lived.

Emily welcomed Robert to her Family home in Birmingham for the 1911 census where he is described as Brother in Law (JGP her husband filled it in so he thinks Robert is her brother - difficult but not impossible - he has a brother born 1851 in Aghalee but not a sister....;-)

So I am starting again on this William Fryer born St Marys Parish Nottingham 1821.....anyone else with knowledge or interest in any of these families access to the Diaries of the Excise Dept at NA from 1844 on.... I hope to hear from you!

Colin

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: FRYER Family or Frier, or Friar, or Friars, Fryar, etc, etc!
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
PROGRESS.....

I have found through a new (PF) source a copy of my Emily's marriage details of 1870. It tells that her father was Samuel.....!

So she may be a sister of Robert b 1831 whose parents were Sam & Eliza.

Then I found a Sam at about the same time married an Ellen in the same geographical area of Ulster.

I have births for a number of children for each of these marriages and it is possible that its the same Samuel with a second marriage....

One of Sam & Elizas children (Robt born 1831) was born in 1851 so Emily may not be too late!

Then I found the record of Emilys death and her age is given such that she cannot have been born as early as 1851.

So I now have files of pdfs for Fryers in Wales, Ireland, Scotland and a few individuals in England + those whose maiden names were Fryer....

Offline sbfreyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 December 15 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning/Afternoon ladies and gents,

I have just stumbled across this forum and was excited to discover this thread in particular. It appears that we may be related in a very remote way.

My surname is "Freyer", however this surname evolved from the Fryer family in Kinsale in the early 1800's. It appears as though some of the family adopted Freyer while others stayed with Fryer.

I am not sure exactly how to respond to all the posts at once but together I think we can put this together and swap some very relevant information. I have extracts from the Church of Ireland records from Kinsale that has helped me put the Fryer/Freyer tree together to some degree but still need help filling in the gaps. Of course I am more than happy to share this.

One particular entry of note was the birth of Thomas Fryer on 24 Feb 1809 in Kinsale to Josiah/Joseph and Catherine Fryer. I believe that Josiah/Joseph Fryer and Catherine McDonnell were married in 1807.

Steve

Freyer- Cork, Galway, England, Australia
Bryce - Renfrew, Dunedin, Melbourne

Offline rprfryer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 January 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Steve,

Thank you, very much, for the information about Thomas Fryer, born in Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland, son of Josiah/Joseph Fryer and Catherine McDonnell.

Is the given name ambiguity due to an abbreviation?

Until about 15:00 on Tuesday, January 05, 2016, when I first read your recent post, I had no Current Best Candidates for my great great great grandparents.

The information does not seem to be available online, possibly due to the records lost, in the Four Courts fire, in Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland, on June 30, 1922.

Getting more, supporting, information will continue to be difficult.

My great great grandparents, Thomas Fryer and Ellen Murphy, were both born somewhere in Ireland, and were married, on September 20, 1834, in Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland, possibly in St. Multose parish, which is given as his parish in the text of his 1838 Excise entry papers.

My great grandparents were Henry Joseph Fryer and Jane Griffiths.

Henry was christened, on March 19, 1843, in Wellington, Shropshire, England.

There is also a record of Thomas Fryer marrying Ellen #. about 1833, in Wellington, Shropshire, England.

Henry’s siblings included John, Robert, Thomas, Catherine, Mary A., and James.

Thomas, the father, may have had a brother, John Fryer, who was born, in 1812 or 1813, in Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland.

His wife, Mary A. #, was born, in 1824 or 1825, in Shoreditch, Middlesex, England.

Their son, Robert, was born, in 1845 or 1846, in #, County Cork, Ireland.

They moved to Hoxton New Town, St. Leonard, Shoreditch, London, Middlesex, England.

May the universe notice you!

Regards, R(ichard). Paul R(edmayne). Fryer, infovore

Victoria, the capital of the province of British Columbia
FRYER of Wellington, Shropshire; Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire

REDMAYNE of Benwell, Northumberland; Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland; Gateshead-on-Tyne, Durham; Roker, Sunderland, Durham; Brathay Hall, Lancashire; Camden Town, Middlesex; Kentish Town, Middlesex; Ingleton, Yorkshire; Giggleswick, Yorkshire

BRYON of Birmingham, Warwickshire

HICKMAN of Birmingham, Warwickshire

LOWDON of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland; County Durham; Alston, Cumberland

GRIFFITHS; Bilston,Staffordshire

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 January 16 22:52 GMT (UK) »

Have you seen the records on www.familysearch.org   several records for Fryer/Fraher and other variations

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Afryer~%20%2Bany_place%3A%22cork%20ireland%22~&collection_id=1408347

if you have trouble with above link just go into www.familysearch.org  and go into Ireland and key in Fryer and "any" for records and the above are the results. 

There is a photo of a Fryer tomb at St. Multose graveyard in Kinsale on historic graves.com 

Link

http://historicgraves.com/st-multose-s/co-mult-0128/grave

Another Fryer memorial in Kilcreadan, Ladysbridge which is in East Cork about 40 miles from Kinsale.

http://historicgraves.com/kilcredan/co-klcd-0050/grave

I also came across a Fryer headstone at Old Church cemetery in Cobh (formerly Queenstown).

I don't have any connection to Fryers.Liberty

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,