Author Topic: Deciphering of Army Record  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering of Army Record
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 April 13 13:28 BST (UK) »
(he worked for the "civil service" in a Railway Clearing Office - not sure what that is)

Up to 1923 the railways of Britain consisted of many dozens of private companies, some of whom were independent of the others, and some of whom were subsidiaries set up in conjunction with other competing companies to take trade from competitors with whom they might have set up subsidiaries etc.etc. etc. If this sounds like a jungle it was, and so far as I am concerned shows that competition is just a big lie!
However, an illustration of the problems this situation caused will suffice to show the need for a Railway Clearing Office. A consignment sent from Selby to Birmingham would be routed over the Northeastern Railway; Selby to Shaftholme Junction (north of Doncaster), Great Northern Railway Shaftholme to Doncaster, Great Central Railway Doncaster to Sheffield, Midland Railway Sheffield to Water Orton and London Northwestern Water Orton to Birmingham; there may have been other companies involved too, but all of them would have wanted a share of the proceeds, and in that era the monies were allocated manually by clerical staff in ledgers. So for a simple journey like this 5 companies were involved. The system was eased considerably when the government rationalised the company structure into 4 mainline groups effective from Jan 1st 1923, but the Railway Clearing Office survived, until it was finally abolished on nationalization in 1948. When I joined in 1956 there were still staff employed who had worked for the clearing house; what is new to me is that prior to 1923 it was part of the Civil Service. Hope that has clarified things somewhat.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 April 13 14:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that Redroger .............. it has certainly clarified things.   It also makes me suspect we have taken a step backwards with the railways as we, again, have many companies!

I wonder which Railway Company he joined - I think it was either GWR or GNR but not sure now why I thought it was one of those two!    I know his brother also worked in a Railway Clearing Office - Harry Leslie Foster which may have been in Somerset House (or perhaps nearby) - when he joined up I understand he joined a Regiment from the/for the, Civil Service - actually it is above somewhere - Prince of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles - they were based in Hampstead.

Sue

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 April 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
If you know where he lived in the 1911 census it MIGHT give a clue to which company; i.e. the further west the more likely it is to be the GWR, but if it is Somers Town St, Pancras it is more likely to have been the GNR, Midland or LNWR. Euston, St. Pancras and Kings Cross stations are all on the southern edge of the area.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 April 13 19:41 BST (UK) »
In 1911 his address (William Foster) was 42 Beatrice Road, Stroud Green/Wood Green, Finsbury Park,  which is definitely North London I think.

He must have left the Railway at some stage, perhaps retirement at 60 because (and I am not sure of this but have been told by a member of the family)  he possibly worked for the NAFFI - this was, however, I believe in Wiltshire, where he was living in 1942 when he was killed.   I have never been able to find out about this.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 13:03 BST (UK) »
Wood Green/Finsbury Park suggests the Great Northern Railway. Many of the staff records are at the National archives, if searchin g I would look at GNR first.

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 July 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie and Steve,

You contacted me in April 2013 about Walter Gordon Foster and asked me if I had researched him - I said I hadn't because there was an error on the medal index card.
I now feel petty sure that I have, to a large extent, researched Walter Gordon Foster in error!!!
If you are still interested in him and want to see what I have got I can open my anc.co. Tree to you.

Do let me know.

Sue

Offline Warren82

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 January 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue,

I'm really sorry to contact you on here, but I'm a feature writer for the Daily Mirror. We are looking to put together a feature about the Home Guard ahead of the impending premiere of the Dad's Army film. In particular I am keen to look at some of Home Guard heroics to show that the men who served were a great deal more courageous and competent than the comedy (wonderful though it was) portrays them. Therefore I am particularly keen to learn more about your grandfather William Foster as one of two members of the Home Guard who were awarded the George Cross. Sadly I have struggled to find much information so far.

If you would be willing to speak to me I would be thrilled to hear from you. My email address is warren.manger@mirror.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Warren

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 January 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Warren,   I am at present on holiday in Israel - shortly due to return (Thursday) and will contact you then or shortly after.

Sue