Author Topic: cranmer gordon  (Read 3252 times)

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cranmer gordon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 September 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
thank you to all my responders trying to esablish if albert cranmer gordon is my grandfatherdob1859

Is that possible for that year? I'm in my late 50s and my grandfathers were born in the 1880s.........1859 seems a bit early  ???

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 September 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
There's this marriage:
December qtr 1860
Whitechapel district    vol 1c, page 785

Gordon, Thomas Cranmer
+ and on the same page +
Felstead, Mary
Fitzgerald, Sarah

1861 census has Albert Gordon, b 1860 Bethnal Green, with parents Thomas Gordon (1815, Exeter) and Mary (1830, Hoxton).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi if it is the family that ends up in Fleet Hampshire you are following then my initial post re Albert b 1865 Mile End is your man?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline john cg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 September 12 19:23 BST (UK) »
thank you for that Putting it to bed for a while can't keep up with the response Some web site this Brilliant! over and out

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 September 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

As a light-hearted note . . . . .

While you are evaluating what goodies have been found, you may want to read about a name,
John Cranmer Gordon, which arose whilst carrying out searches for you, in "my own" county Herts.
http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/occupations/mad-houses.htm

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline john cg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks ray
amazing what you can dig up I am not sure about any connection especially the surgeon bit although I could be heading for the mad house bit since I started on this As I posted earlier I am now channeling my efforts in trying to trace the origin of the name "cranmer"which applies to the Gordons from at least the mid 1880's
Regards
John

Offline Jambot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 July 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi John. My grandmother was born Ethel Gertrude Gordon. Her Great Grandfather was Joseph Cranmer Gordon, born at Quendon Hall in Essex. I don't have my research at hand at the moment, but I'm convinced that the Cranmer in Cranmer Gordon originates from Henry Cranmer, squire of Quendon Hall. I think he had an illegitimate son, Joseph, who was brought up on the estate until Henry's(there are reports that he was mentally deranged) death, when the estate was inherited by a distant relative and the next we see of Joseph is in London. Where the name Gordon comes in I don't really know. The name of the mother of the illegitimate Joseph? All I know is that my Great Grandfather fought with Gordon Highlanders, so perhaps there is a Scottish connection.
When I get my papers together, I will send more.
The exciting thing is that if you follow the history of Henry Cranmer you find some very interesting stuff about ancestors in high places. Even the possibility there is a connection to Thomas Cranmer of Henry the 8th fame!