Author Topic: Miss Hawes Tunbridge Wells  (Read 931 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miss Hawes Tunbridge Wells
« on: Sunday 09 February 14 14:05 GMT (UK) »
 Im looking for any information about a Miss Hawes  who is credited as being the first woman in Tunbridge Wells go up in an aeroplane. An article in the Courier dated June 19,1914 gives a detailed account of her going up in an aeroplane flown by well known aviator Frank Goodden.Miss Hawes is only referred to in the article as Miss Hawes of Court Road,Tunbridge Wells.

I found a listing for her in the Tunbridge Wells directories of 1913 and 1918 as "Miss Hawes, 9 Court Road,Tunbridge Wells. I could not find her in directories of Tunbridge Wells for the years 1903 or 1922. I checked the 1911 census for Tunbridge Wells and found no listing for her but I did find #9 Court Road which was only occupied by a coachman and his wife and son, so it is possible that Miss Hawes was the owner/ occupier of the house in 1911 but was away at the time of taking the census. #9 Court Road is a substantial house of about 9-11 rooms, similar to others on the street and since she is listed in the directories she must have been a spinster and head of the home with just a few servants living with her.  The above is the only concrete evidence I have for her.

I did find a burial records dated November 20,1918 in the Tunbridge Wells Cemetery for a Alice Mary Hawes but I don't know if that woman was a spinster or was married. If she was married then she is not the Hawes I am looking for. If she was a spinster then perhaps there is a match.

Any information about Miss Hawes would be greatly appreciated for her flight in 1914 was a historic event and nothing has been recorded about her apart from that one article.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Hawes Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 14 15:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage that would fit for the Alice Hawes who died in 1918 age 38.
Marriage December qtr 1915 
Arkell    Alice M   (spouse Hawes)   
Hawes    George W (spouse Arkell)
Tonbridge    2a   2423   

There is an Alice Mary Arkell who was bn c1881 in Maidstone 1911
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XWDT-9NL
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Hawes Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 February 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
It sounds therefore that the Hawes who died in 1918 is therefore not the Miss Hawes I am looking for. Thank you for your input.