Author Topic: PAPPLEWICK MILLS on the River Leen  (Read 15444 times)

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
Re: PAPPLEWICK MILLS on the River Leen
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Those are they, Julie, thanks for your kind interest in someone else's rellies! Ann and Bella make it up to Cumbria, Isaac stays on board the ship I guess.
       Thanks also for the heads-up on Samuel Oldham, I must look into him. I haven't so far gone into the Oldham family: having seen what a lot of them there are in the area I was kinda daunted and put them aside for later.
     it is strange that, either you find one guy isolated so there is no chance of finding out more about him, or there are so many you don't stand a snowball's chance of sorting out the strands..
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rodneyernest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline owdcodger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 March 10 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

As someone who has spent the last several years researching Papplewick's history, and particularly the mills along the R. Leen, I might be able to help with your queries. 

Jane - I have done a search through my databases including monumental inscriptions at Papplewick Church, parish registers (including the limited number of Bishop's Transcripts), wills, estate records and much more but without finding any trace of the name Angus.  Sorry.  There are no records which directly record who worked in the mills - there were between 800-1,200 people engaged - but a good number of employee names in Papplewick and Linby can be determined from other sources.

The Robinsons had a sizeable enterprise with mills in Papplewick, Linby and Bulwell parishes.  They also had two warehouses in Nottingham.  So it is possible your ancestor was based in Bulwell and never lived in Papplewick although he could have worked here.

I can tell you with a good deal of certainty that he was not an apprentice from London.  The 'London Lads' as they were known came to Papplewick from the workhouse of St. Marylebone parish in London during the 1790's.  They were usually aged about 8-12 years when they were apprenticed out.  Don't believe the nonsense you might read about ill-treatment of apprentices in Papplewick, it simply isn't true.  Some lads returned to their parents in London, some were apprenticed in Nottingham and others remained in this parish until old age.  The name Angus does not appear in my list of London Lads and in any event, if he was born c.1760 he was far too old.

Julie - very much doubt children from your school went to Castle Mill to do restoration work on the waterwheel in the 1970's - it was removed well before then.  The mill was converted to flats in 1952-1959.  I used to pass Castle Mill daily in the late 1960's and early 1970's and I have no recollection either of it or the lean-to building that housed it.

There are numerous Sheltons listed in the Papplewick parish registers, probably related.  Many of them give their occupation as cotton spinner so they did work for the Robinsons.  I do not know where they lived in Papplewick, only that both Samuel and Elizabeth were resident here when they married.  They are not listed in the 1841 Census for Papplewick, so had moved on by that time, but there is an Ann Shelton, aged 72 and living at Stanker Hill.

Sorry all this doesn't help much!

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 March 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
      Very many thanks to both owdcodger and rodney for their help. I am always amazed at the amount and quality of information I get from rootschat members, sometimes many moons after the original query, as is the case here.
     I have since solved the mystery of my Angus family, to a reasonable degree of certainty, though as this involves records in other counties, I will not give the details here. If there is anyone who lands on this page and needs that information, please feel free to send me a message. 
         Meanwhile,  I am grateful for such interesting background information on the Papplewick enterprises, and thank you and of course, everyone else who has replied earlier, once more
                              Very best wishes
                                                  Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bingoliz

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 May 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
My GtGt grandfather was Robert Shelton b 1797 Middle Mill Papplewick, s/o John and Mary. I have done some research, and also live local, so have visited Castle Mill, had a look round, spoke to a young lady, who said it was her father who restored the building in the late 1950's. If you go towards the local pub in Linby, and walk up a path by the school, you can see in the distants, a three story building which I think is Forge Mill, I may be wrong.

I have found some burials at St James Papplewick, including my Gt Gt grand parents, and my Gt Gt Gt grand parents. Julie, I have also found the marriage of Samuel, and  think he may be related to my family, but have been unable to confirm, I can't find where John and Mary where married, or where they came from.

Some one has done a lot of work on researching the village of Papplewick, and all this info is at the Archives, and is all A VILLAGE CALLED PAPPLEWICK. It has given me info, poor law records, newspaper artices, all relating to my Shelton family.

Maggie

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Owdcodger, many thanks for the info, will have to have a look for the other Shelton info, I did see Ann am not sure atmo if she is connected to me or not, I need to do some more digging. I know that my Sheltons had moved to Bulwell and they Samuel dies in 1859 and Elizabeth in 1863.

Jane,
am glad to see that you have solved the problem :) nothing like finally scratching that itch!!

Maggie,
I have sent you a PM

Julie

Offline Rexb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 March 14 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Castle Mill from 1953 to 1970. The Mill was converted by my father (who is still alive and living in NZ) and Mr Dennis Shaw. Both architects. The Mill was in total dis repair with only 3 walls and no roof so it took sometime to get into a liveable state. It was a fantastic place to live and I went to the primary school in Linby till aged 11. I also had my wedding reception at the Mill. Happy to answer any questions. Now live in Sydney Australia.