Author Topic: Nantwich Cemetery  (Read 6530 times)

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nantwich Cemetery
« on: Thursday 07 November 13 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

Im am interested in knowing more about Nantwich Cemetery?? I have recently come back from a trip to England where I visited St Marys Nantwich looking for graves. I found a lot of grave headstones that made a pathway around the church believeing they to be graves.  I was informed that the graveyard out front of the church had been grassed over, I am unsure if the graves that were in that area were removed or remain underneath the grass area. I am aware that there is an area in a vault inside the church where the remains lie of a number of persons who were disturbed during the renovations of the floor in recent times. I am uncertain if the remains under that floor contain any remains from the outer graveyard now grassed over. When I visited I had only a short few hours, there was a food and drink festival on so there were hundreds of people there, and a lovely old chap in the Church gave me some insight into the history but it was short as you would expect, there were lots of people there asking him questions.  Can anyone tell me....anything more about St Marys Nantwich?  I am looking for the graves of Mary Jones d 1880 who died in Nantwich widow of Edward Jones who died in Nantwich and who I believed both to be buried there, but found no graves. I put that down to renovations and their graves being disturbed. However, even though they may have died in Nantwich perhaps they weren't buried at St Marys. Edward died much earlier than Mary, around 1827 and she in 1880. She lived in Nantwich Middlewich Cheshire. I know where they died but I want to know where their graves are.  My husband and I walked over every plaque there was around and in St Marys but found no Mary or Edward. We thought at the time they may have been some of the ones who were incripted under the church floors, or perhaps they still lay in unmarked graves under grassed area at front of church.  Can anyone over there help me find the information I am looking for.  We did find some family members...Turners (as Mary was a Turner Jones) buried at St Chads at Wybunbury which was so great to find.  I just presumed because Mary and Edward died at Nantwich which is what their records show..that they were buried there at St Marys as that is where they married, but one should never presume...I wish I'd had more time to stay over there to investigate for myself. Can anyone help me???
Wait to hear,
Cheers Pamela from Aus
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)
Ireland: Dawson, Cook, O'Brien, Murphy (Mums side)
Finland: Johnson/Johansson, Worstein (Dad)

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nantwich Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 13 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Pamela, there is more than one cemetery in Nantwich.  Do you have the addresses at which they died?  This might help to locate if they were buried in the other cemetery in Nantwich.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 November 13 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I dont actually know where they died only that Mary Jones (also known Turner-Jones as she was a Turner and her husband Jones) died at Nantwich Middlewich.  Edward her husband Jones died long before her quite young in 1827 at Nantwich also. I found neither grave at St Marys in Nantwich but accepted the story about graves dug up for the new floor of the church to go down and the grassing of the grave area out front, thinking that they were amongs the remains that were encrypted under the church floors, but I don't know this for certain.  I just want to know where they are buried.
Cheers Pamela
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 November 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Pamela, Nantwich and Middlewich are two separate towns.  They are about 12miles apart.  Do you know where you got the Middlewich or Nantwich from?
Regards
Kathb
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 November 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Pamela, there is a burial at St Chads, Wybunbury of an Edward Jones born 1795.  This one died on 5th November 1827 aged 32 and was buried on 13th November.  It gives his occupation as Bookseller and place of abode as Nantwich.  Could this be him?
Regards
Kathb
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 November 13 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Pamela, there is a Will on Findmypast for Edward Jones (stationer) fits with Bookseller mentioned in the burial record.  The Will was proved in 1828.  It does give the same date of death as the Edward buried at Wybunbury. In the Will he mentions his wife Mary. 
Regards
Kathb
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 November 13 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Pamela, I see that Mary died in Middlewich.  It is possible that she is buried at Middlewich then.  The microfilms of the Middlewich Burials are held at the Cheshire Archives in Chester.  As she was buried in April of 1880 I suggest you put a new post on this Cheshire site and ask if someone going to the Cheshire Archives would kindly do a look up for you to see if she is buried in Middlewich.  There are some people who visit this site, who regularly go to the archives and they might have time to look at the microfilms for you.  The Church is St Michaels.
Regards
Kathb
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso

Offline lynnc7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
there is a good site to look at regarding births, marriages and deaths in Cheshire, it's called Cheshire Parish register Project, then go into the database. I find this a very useful site.
Hope this helps
Lynn

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 May 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathb
Thank you for responding to my post. I realise that Nantwich and Middlewich are different now. The burial you mention at St Chad's Wybunbury would be the correct one of Edward Jones born 1795. He did die in November 1827 and was 32 and he was a Stationer/booksller and lived in Nantwich.  I'm kicking myself because as I mentioned in an earlier post I had been to St Chad's end of last year but had no idea Edward was buried there. I found the Will for Edward some time ago and it is the same Edward Jones.  I found newspaper articles in British Newspapers where Edward bought his stationery shop and then a few years later how the business was doing well etc.  I looked to see if I could find anything mentioned about his burial or death but I could find nothing.  Now my next very big question...does anyone know anyone who lives in Wybunbury or nearby who wouldn't mind in their spare time to go to St Chad's and do a walk around and find Edwards Jones' grave and take photos for me? I could provide my mobile number which the photos could be sent to as a message with attachments or some other details...what is the go with that sort of stuff on here???  In return I would be more than happy to do some research for someone with relatives over here in Australia???? I'll wait to hear someone...please :)  The other thing is when we visited Wybunbury we found a place called Shavington Hall which is on Weston Lane and we are almost 100% sure that is the original ancestral home of my husband's family line of Turner.  I was wondering if there were any old photos in the town library of the house that was the original Shavington Hall on that site....not the Shavington Hall in Shavington Park Market Drayton. We visited that one and I am pretty sure that's not the one. I have found census that actually have the Turner family living in Shavington Hall on Weston Lane. I'd dearly love any pics of that or if anyone could get a phot of the current house/property with permission from the owners of course.  It would mean a lot for the family tree I have worked on for my husband for the past 3 yrs now. As for Mary, Edward's wife, I will look into the Middlewich side of things and see if I can find where she is buried.  She never married after he died, well she had no option really. His Will stipulated that for her to get moneys from his estate she was to remain unmarried and raise their child which she faithfully did.  I would like to know what he died from as everything seemed to be going along smoothly in his life, business wise and all then he suddenly marries Mary in June, does a weird Will in Oct that year requesting she remain unmarried and raise their child which she had not given birth to yet and not until after he died, and then he dies in Nov that year. I am thinking he contracted some terminal illness. Any idea how or where I would find this out???  Ok so many questions and wants, sorry about all that....someone out there if you can help me that would be great.  Wait to hear back.  Cheers Pamela