Author Topic: MARTIN Family  (Read 32648 times)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martin
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hope you get lucky with your family contacts, but they do not always reply  :(

Have you tried 'google'  with 'Martin family Cambridge', Andrew Martin from Cambridge has his tree online. 

Do not know if there is a connection, but worth a go, as he must have some research possibly on all Martin families there

good luck in your searches

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
Have googled Martin Family History Cambs. and have seen Andrew Martin's site- thanks

Have not had any response from GenesReunited connection.

regards

Mark

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 October 06 07:38 BST (UK) »
At last some success at GenesReunited although some replies are coming back blank - hope they can sort it out.

Made my first positive connection for Julius Martin of Thetford, Cambs.

Hope to make many more to fill out this tree.

Still haven't put my family tree on Genesunited - for some reason I'm somewhat hesitant in putting all this information out - thinking maybe just my direct line to Julius.

Is the information in the larger tree really mine to give out?

Mark Martin

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 October 06 08:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, the information in your larger tree is yours to give out, unless you have detail which could be regarded as subject to copyright - but basic details of BMDs which are in the public domain are OK. However I would NEVER include/give out details of living people, even to a close relative. But be prepared to see your tree "lifted" and added to other peoples trees. If that doesn't bother you, so well and good.

Andrew Martin is a contributor on this board

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 October 06 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that David. Wise advice.

I'm just taking things cautiuosly for the moment.

And with a common surname like Martin one wonders whether there will ever be a 'genuine' connection made. Often end up with US information thrown up after entering a search - like 158 Julius Martins!! - it's a real head spin that one.

The good news is I've made two real connections for my Julius Martin now. One in England and one in Australia. The tree is filling out.

much patience needed

regards

Mark Martin

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 October 06 04:33 BST (UK) »
Seems my Martin family were leaving Cambridgeshire in droves (poss. exaggeration) in the middle and late 1800s - any clues as to why this was the case?

regards

Mark Martin

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 October 06 13:03 BST (UK) »
Have googled Martin Family History Cambs. and have seen Andrew Martin's site- thanks

Have not had any response from GenesReunited connection.

regards

Mark

~cue Andrew~

hello, i've just stumbled across this thread. very interesting indeed.

Here's a baptism that may help - as yet, i havent found a Little Thetford connection to my Little Downham/CoveneyMartin branch (although a few of my maternal families lived in that village).

Stretham Burials:
20th February 1841: William MARTIN (1yrs, from Lt Thetford)

regards
Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline pacificmudman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN Family
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 October 06 12:31 BST (UK) »
Well hello Andrew,

Did look at your (impressive) site and concluded no connection so did not bother you with my Martins of Cambridgeshire.

Even so you have now certainly raised my eyebrows with your tantalizing morsel!

This may be evidence of a child of my 3g grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Martin. And perhaps what makes this even more likely is that there is another child of Charles and Elizabeth born 1842 named William. He is the youngest sibling of my aforementioned gg grandfather Julius Martin who emigrated to Australia in 1856.

Thank you for that.

A few questions for you Andrew.

Where did you find this info?

Do you think it would be possible to obtain a death certificate for this young child?

Why where people leaving Cambridgeshire at this time?

You live in Cambs?

Had great success these last few days linking several parts of my Martin tree - from Patricia in England and Wes and Lynne in Sydney Australia.

It's all marvellous stuff.

Cheers

Mark Martin

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN Family
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 October 06 16:13 BST (UK) »
Well hello Andrew,

hello :)

Did look at your (impressive) site and concluded no connection so did not bother you with my Martins of Cambridgeshire.

Thanks. I admit that i have yet to find a crossover between my Martins and the Little Thetford lot despite them being only a few miles from eachother.

Even so you have now certainly raised my eyebrows with your tantalizing morsel!

This may be evidence of a child of my 3g grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Martin. And perhaps what makes this even more likely is that there is another child of Charles and Elizabeth born 1842 named William. He is the youngest sibling of my aforementioned gg grandfather Julius Martin who emigrated to Australia in 1856.

Thank you for that.

no worries. When a child died, their next child (sometimes already in production) would just take the same name if it was of the same sex.

A few questions for you Andrew.

Where did you find this info?

Do you think it would be possible to obtain a death certificate for this young child?

Why where people leaving Cambridgeshire at this time?

You live in Cambs?

I found the info in the Stretham Parish Register for Burials which is available in the Cambridgeshire General Records Office at Shire Hall, Cambridge. They are exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable there and i really do recommend emailing or writing to them if you're unable to visit.

There were many people leaving the country during the mid 1800s and a lot of these were to the new 'promise land' of Australia. A number of my CROSS family members emigrated in the 1850s to Australia where they bought land, built houses and ended up with areas named after them. Bear in mind too though, that criminals were also sent off to Australia (and America) from this country. However, im sure that passenger records of ships leaving the UK would provide you with a lot of interesting information.. including whether any were born/married or died in transit.

Yes, i am from Cambridgeshire and up until 3 weeks ago i lived right near the records office. I am currently on the Cambridgeshire/Suffolk border near Newmarket.
Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.