Author Topic: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire  (Read 19072 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:52 GMT (UK) »
On the other side of the page:
On the same line as Edward’s name number 21 it says “säges vara gift i England” - which means “is said to have married in England.”
Above that under Gustaf’s name it says “ej avhörd på 8 år (66)” – which means “not examined in 8 years (1866).” I think this means that the priest wrote this in 1866 after getting tired of these 2 not being in the village for all these years. 1866 minus 8 years is 1858. So, I believe they disappeared around 1858.
In the last 2 columns it says “särsk stuk 21 Oct 1868” – which means that the priest officially struck off their names from the books. He realized that they weren’t coming back.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I would love to know how they wrote "Nygreen" if this is the right person that is.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 January 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Sorry for late reply. We had a big New Year dinner for the family.
The census/Household Examination is very interesting. Thank you for sending it to me. It is a pity the exact date of birth for Anders is not entered as it would help to positively identify his parents as the name is so common. Are you able to read the words before Nyborg and Anders's name? Also the word after Christina. Strangely one of our children was called Christina but she died a few days after birth. Johanna and Hermann's names are crossed off. Does that mean they have died? You said that the words before Edward's name may mean that he was enrolled in a seamen's institute. Do you think his brothers were also sailors? Also Anna Johanna is missing. Maybe she died young.
I have found online a Swedish Maritime Administration. with a centre in Gothenburg. It may be worth sending an e-mail to see if they have any records or can advise me where to look. Perhaps he sailed from Nyborg.
I do not think you are condescending at all. Sometimes it is difficult to see the obvious when you look at so many documents but someone else can. As I don't have the luxury of a permanent Ancestry subscription, I copy/attach what I find then attempt to prove/disprove it later.
Johanna Lang is older than Anders but I have not found her birth yet.
Once again thank you for your kind assistance.
Julie (nee Anderson)
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 January 14 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

To answer your questions first:

The word before Nyborg: Backstuga - This is a simple lodging on someone elses land.
The word before Anders: Enkling - Widow.
The word after Christina: Barnlärarina - School Teacher.
Johanna died so her name was crossed off.
All three brothers were sailors. I know that now.
I don't know who Herman is....yet.
Gustaf and Edward's names are crossed off because they never came back to the parish.

I will find Anders birth for you. I have found 2 entries in the Uddevalla Sailor's Books of an Edward Andersson going to sea. I have access to all the Sailor Books but finding sailors is not easy.
Uddevalla is very very close to Nyborg, so I think it is him.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 January 14 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I have found Anders' parents and siblings:

Father: Anders Hansson 1773
Mother: Kerstin Arvidsdotter 1767

Siblings:
Herman 1798
Anna Britta 1799
Christina 1802
Anders 1804 (not 1805)
Inger 1811

If at all possible, can I have a look at the names etc that were given on those records you have of Edward's parents etc.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 January 14 19:38 GMT (UK) »
You wrote somewhere that Edward was in the 1911 Census on a ship. I would like to see it please. I cannot find it.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 January 14 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Number 92
Here is an Edvard Andersson. He is a (kock) cook and from Ljung parish. It is dated 6 July 1854. The captain’s name is H. Lycke. The ship’s name is Minerva and is sailing to Norrige (the old word for Norge which is Norway). The Minerva was a sloop.

I noticed that he was a steward and a watchman on the 1891 Census. Maybe cook and steward are connected somehow?

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 January 14 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Number 55
Here is another Edvard Andersson. He is a (jungman) deckhand from Ljung. It is dated 22 March 1856. The captain’s name is B. Olsson. The ship’s name is Lydia and is sailing to Denmark. The Lydia was a schooner.
Notice H. Andersson above Edvard’s name. He is an (matrose) able seaman and could be Herman his uncle whose name appears at the same residence.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 January 14 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Also note that the Anderssons lived in Ljung Parish. There were many Anderssons in the Sailor's Books from Uddevalla, but only 2 Edvards and 1 Herman and they came from Ljung Parish. So, I believe these to be the Anderssons I am researching….. and hopefully the family you are also looking for.

Ian