Author Topic: Help with medals please  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with medals please
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
A friend of my son's has come to me for help with family medals. So I need your help please. The medals were awarded to his GG grandfather and he has them proudly displayed.

The medals have the name D.W. Murphy 4793 North Fus or 5th Fus engraved on them. Which I am assuming is the Northumberland Fusiliers.

SUDAN MEDAL

KHEDIVES SUDAN MEDAL

QUEENS SOUTH AFRICAN MEDAL WITH  THE FOLLOWING BARS
Transavaal
Orange Free State
Modder River
Belmont

KINGS SOUTH AFRICAN MEDAL WITH THE FOLLOWING BARS
South Africa 1901
South Africa 1902

BRITISH WAR MEDAL 1914 - 1918

VICTORY MEDAL

These are all encased in a frame and in the centre is a medal of some sort which I have never seen

Eight pointed Star with a green or blue cloth on top with, in the centre of that a circular badge with the following inscribed.

L & P
MERIT
FS

Hope you can help with any info at all and a possible value  for insurance purposes.

KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Help with medals please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
hi,,do you know what the D W stands for  ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
which of the medals has the number on them? 
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy,

I have no idea what the initials are for. I have asked him by text if he has any idea of his family tree and still await an answer. All the medals have the same number on them.
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Not a British "STAR", there were 3 issued between 1800/1900. 2 in WW1 and 9 in WW2. They are all the same 6 point design with different centres. US "STARS" have 5 points, the French have one 8 pointed STAR but not with that centre.

Is it possible it is a badge, are we able to see a photo of it to help in ID.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:40 BST (UK) »
ive searched the medal cards  WW1 for any Murphy with that number,,,but haven't got a result,,,,which is strange....

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 14 08:30 BST (UK) »
Does the Khedives medal have any clasps?

A double pair of Sudan medals with Khartoum clasp, and Boer War pair but with battle clasps from the western front are on sale in the US for £1,200. For probate purposes a dealer's buying price would be about 60% of this. The Khedives should be on the end as here - http://historikorders.com/2723.jpg

Adding a WW1 pair to the same man but with no clasp on the Khedive would be worth about the same. But it all depends upon condition, and proving they are to the same man. If they are father and son they would be worth a bit less. Collectors would also want to know why he has not got a 1914 Star or Long Service medal. As incomplete groups are worth less.

But then this group was sold this year - http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/catalogue-archive/lot.php?department=Medals&lot_id=100519 - to which about 20% needs adding for charges.

He may have had split service, and they used the same number - but I cannot find pre WW1 records on Findmypast. If his Sudan/Boer War record was attached to his WW1 papers, they may have been lost in the 1940 fire. Insurance would cost about £80-100 per year. Some people take the view that they will not be able to replace them so just have them in general household insurance.

At some stage they should be removed from the frame to be photographed in case they are lost/stolen. This would be a good time to re-affirm the details on the WW1 pair. They should be re-cased straight away; as if the group is ever split the value will halve. A note with the research findings should be put on the back.

The other item may be a prize, but as it cannot be proven to be his, it will not add to the group value.

Ken

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to get hold of the lad to find out exactly who the D Murphy is. He is a bit like my own son and only answers his phone when he feels like it.  ;D

I will take a photo of the Star which is in the center of the display later. After I have done all the jobs which my better half has given me for the day.  ::)

The only clasps on the medals are as I have stated above km1971 and thank you for that information.
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock