Author Topic: Annacramph marriage  (Read 9650 times)

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annacramph marriage
« on: Tuesday 02 September 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've noticed in another posting someone was helped with information about a marriage in Annacramph so I'm hoping someone can help me with my query. I have an ancestor, Edward McKendra who had 2 wives (not at the same time) and I have never been able to find any record of his marriages.

Edward's first wife was Ellen English. They would have married sometime between 1835 - 1842. I am pretty sure the marriage would have occurred in a RC church. He was born in Annacramph so I am hoping this is where he married his first wife.

Edward's parents were Edward and Jane McKendra (as taken from his death certificate). I would also be delighted if anyone could give me some information about his parents.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annacramph marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 09:31 BST (UK) »
Annacramph is in the RC parish of Armagh. Their records start in 1796 and are on-line on the rootsireland site (pay to view).
Elwyn

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn. I've tried that site and not had any success.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Records for the R.C. Diocese of Armagh are held on behalf of the diocese by the Cardinal O'Fiaich Library.  They will search these for you for a relatively small fee.  See:

http://www.ofiaich.ie/pages/index.asp?title=Research_Services

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Glensman - thank you. I'll try there.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi enigmatic

I would be interested to know how you get on-when I tried that site nothing seemed to be working :(

Kim

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Kimbrey

I'll let you know how I go. I've had a look at the site already and they don't take credit card so not sure how I'll go about getting the money to them. I'm in Australia. But I guess where there's a will there's a way.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Just wondering, is there a surname issue to consider here? Born and bred this 50+ years in Ireland and I've never heard of it.  I've known McKendrys (and variants). I've also a notion in my head that someone in the past on a forum like this said that McKendra was a.k.a. McKenna, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Anyway, Familysearch has a very few McKendras (a few Scottish ones and immigrants to USA / Canada).  The RootsIreland website (with 20 million records online) only has one record with that exact surname. Griffiths Valuation has none. The Tithe Applotment Books (via the Irish National Archives) have none. The 1901 / 1911 Ireland census returns and surviving 1821 - 1851 fragments don't have that surname. 

Not scientific and just my opinion, but you may want to consider surname variants.

BTW, the McKendra name for Edward and parents, was it taken from transcribed records or actual source documents?

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffy

I know McKendra is an unusual surname and the surname we use today has been altered slightly. It took me quite a few years of trying to trace my ancestors before I realised they were using a slightly different surname. My ancestors were literate and that's how my g g grandfather signed his name on a document I have from around 1840.