Author Topic: Batch Numbers on FamilySearch  (Read 4395 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Batch Numbers on FamilySearch
« on: Sunday 23 February 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone please give me advice concerning Batch Numbers on familysearch.org. I have burials of Alexander Fairer/Faiers 26 Nov 1592 and John (his son) 16 Jul 1591. Both of these are under Batch Number B39201-4 and both burials state only England as place of burial.

I am seeking advice as to which area (if any) this Batch number refers and any help would be appreciated.

Regards
francoso

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Batch Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 February 14 02:52 GMT (UK) »
I think the batch number refers to whoever submitted the information.

Why don't you email the familysearch people (LDS) and ask them?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 14 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn. Since LDS changed the IGI to this new familysearch I haven't been able to find their email address (among many other things). If you have the email address for family search I would be pleased if you could post it.
Thanks and regards
francoso

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 February 14 03:23 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the home page, where you can sign in, go to the bottom of the page.

There you should see a line with About   Blog   Feedback    Site map

Click on Feedback and that should give you a form to fill out, to "Submit your problem or question"

Fill in the appropriate parts, and then send. Usually takes a day or two.

All the best

AC

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AC, I'll give it a try.
Rgds
francoso

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 February 14 10:00 GMT (UK) »
searching the whole batch at random throws up a few mistranscribed locations which seem to be in the north east of England.

the batch seems to be partial transcriptions which cannot be located accurately, one entry for example give place of death as "killed in a coal pit".

mike

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 February 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanls Mike. I have contacted familysearch.org and am waiting to hear what they have to say; I'll post their reply if I get one.
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Batch Numbers on FamilySearch
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »
This is the reply from familysearch.org. In this case, the records don't apply to Suffolk but the info from LDS may be useful for your research efforts. Regards, francoso

QUOTE We thank you for contacting us at FamilySearch Research Assistance giving us the batch number for burials of Alexander and John Fairer/Faiers.
We checked ancestry.com and they have the same incomplete information.
We checked findmypast.co.uk and didn't find them there at all.
We brought up the indexed record in familysearch.org.  The most important bit of information is the source microfilm, GS film number 1471811.
Now go to familysearch.org and click on Search, then on Catalog.  Click on film/fiche numbers and type 1471811 into the blank and click on Search.
Unfortunately, this microfilm contains the records of many parishes in Westmoreland and Lancaster.
You can eliminate the titles that are later than 1592.  We found only one collection that covers 1591 and 1592.

Go to the registers of Brough under Stainmore which are digital.  Download the digital version and click on the binoculars on the left margin.  Note that in the record for son John's burial, Alexander's name is spelled with one l.  In his own burial record, Alexander is spelled with two l's.  Check both spellings.

You have discovered a real problem in our historical records.  We apologize.  We will forward your letter on to historical records in the hopes that these records can be amended with the locations.

We hope this has been a help to you and that you will have success as you continue your family history research. If you would like to respond to our letter, please click on reply.

Sincerely,
FamilySearch Research Support
support@familysearch.org

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Batch Numbers on FamilySearch
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting that reply, francoso.

It will help for some of us to try other methods of searching when at our wits end.

Even if nothing comes of a search, at least we know we have tried all there seems to be available.

AC