Author Topic: Australia Archieves  (Read 708 times)

Offline wbutcheruk2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Butcher from Kent
    • View Profile
Australia Archieves
« on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
I have noticed when searching the archieves some documents have already been digised and are free to view from the UK on the internet. Documents that aren't already digitised, I have had to pay for at quite a cost, for them to digitise the document. This has and hasn't proved useful. But if you live in Australia I believe this service is free and then it will be avavable online for others to view for free.

Can some confirm if this is the case and if so, is anyone willing to ask for certain documents for me to be digitised for free if possible or offer a look up service if passing the archieves?

I would be ever so greatful.
Kent mainly. Butcher, Dodd, Martin, Highwood, Hopkins, Shoat, Goldup, Thornby, Hammon, Edwards, Taylor, Back, Gower, Stevens, Read, Ottaway,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Australia Archieves
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Are you talking about records on the National Archives of Australia website?

If so, some records have been digitised, and some have not. If you want to see a record that has not yet been digitised, then you have to pay (about $20 I think) for it to be digitised. This also applies to those living in Australia.

A year or so ago I had to request and pay to see a document relating to a family member, and I live in Australia.  :)

Offline wbutcheruk2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Butcher from Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Yes that's what I was asking. I just wanted confirmation. Thank you.
Kent mainly. Butcher, Dodd, Martin, Highwood, Hopkins, Shoat, Goldup, Thornby, Hammon, Edwards, Taylor, Back, Gower, Stevens, Read, Ottaway,

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My experience.

About 4 years ago I enquired about about getting a copy of my father's WW2 Army File which included service 20 years after WW2 and after emailing the NAA I received a quote in writing for the copying which was for $25.00.  If I agreed with the quote (which I did) I then returned the agreement form with payment and sometime later the File copy arrived with the receipt.

Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 April 14 23:59 BST (UK) »
 I have purchased several WW2 files from the NAA online and you can choose the cheaper option to have the file digitised and placed online or purchase a copy which is mailed.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 14 06:46 BST (UK) »
Documents that aren't already digitised, I have had to pay for at quite a cost, for them to digitise the document.

I didnt think the cost was to bad. I purchased my grandfather's WW2 military record and just went the cheapest way so now its online in the archives for all to see. I figured if anyone went looking for him they are most likely family so they are welcome to the record.

Offline redmr2red

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 April 14 03:20 BST (UK) »
WW1 records were digitised and made available free as a gift to the Nation for the bi-centennial ( I believe). All other records need to be purchased to digitise them, once digitised they are freely available to all.  I've paid for a dozen already. 

I think I have that right.
Clarence, England then Australia from 1912.
Copeland, England.
Lascelles / Lovett / Stevens, England.
Langford, England (Reading and Southampton).
Kipp / Rigbye / Randall, Germany then Victoria, Australia from 1849.
Boothman / Clifford / Marsden / Johnston in Australia