Author Topic: Bridget Lavelle death Perth WA 1923  (Read 1129 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Bridget Lavelle death Perth WA 1923
« on: Thursday 17 April 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Am a newbie with Australian records, even though I have lived here  50 years !!(Having all my family tree in Scotland and Ireland). 

Have found the following in the WA Index records - and am hoping that it is the death of someone who migrated from Scotland around 1910 or so.

Death: LAVELLE  BRIDGET  Female      PERTH  registration 1196  1923 

I see that I can order the certificate, but at the price of $31, am wondering if there is a cheaper way to find out any info on this Bridget. The Bridget Lavelle (Ms Hoy) I am looking for, abandoned her family in Glasgow to go to "London", "Australia", about 1910 (definitely not before 1906), and I have found a "Bridie Lavell"  sailing from London arriving at Fremantle the Otranto 1st Nov 1910.
Any ideas on how I could follow this lead, would be most helpful.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Lavelle death Perth WA 1923
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 14 11:06 BST (UK) »
Death notice for Bridget Lavelle 1923
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44760036

regards,
   Ros

adding :
   Probate notice http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article58070746
   Funeral notice http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31193420
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Wow, Thank you so much Ros.  Will remember to try the NLA site - and you have definitely saved me time and finances.  This Bridget is definitely not my Bridget.  Mine was married to Hugh Lavelle in Glasgow, and she left him with a few children - most who ended up in "care", and as the link tells me the WA Bridget had a totally different husband and family.  Who knows, my Bridget may never have "gone to Australia" as her husband has stated in various Scottish records. 

So, thanks again - such a quick helpful response.
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 April 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
Pleasure to help Maggs  :)

Be warned - trove newspapers are addictive  ;D

cheers,
   Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 April 14 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thinking over my previous email - the fact that the Bridget Lavelle - mother of 6, and widow of Michael who died in 1923, is not my Bridget does not necessarily mean that I should discount the "Bridie Lavell" who migrated from London in 1910.  "Bridie" was a "domestic" and travelled alone - no family mentioned - also no age which doesn't help.  But could still be a possible for my "Bridget"... will check out ?marriages (even though she left a husband and children in Scotland), as have not found any other deaths in WA of relevant details.  Now that I have re-discovered Trove!!

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 April 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
Yes I was still searching  :)

Can you tell us her year of birth and her parents' names please Maggs

cheers,
   Ros

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 April 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,

Bridget Lavell (Ms Hoy) was born 15 June 1877 in Cloonagh County Sligo Ireland, to parents Patrick Hoy and Bridget Waters. 

Bridget then married Hugh Lavell in 1896 in Glasgow, Scotland and had 6 children with him.  The family was already applying for Poor Law Relief in 1901, continued to do so on a regular basis (have the records).  The last time Bridget herself applied for "Relief" was in 1906 (her last child Annie was born in 1906).  By 1909, Hugh was by himself, said his wife Bridget was in "London".  And by 1911, when he and the children were mostly fostered/adopted, he said his wife was in "Australia".  That is why I thought the "Bridie Lavell" - travelling alone, on the Otranto from London, arriving Fremantle 1910, could be a good option.??  But no idea about "thereafter".  No further record found for Bridget Lavelle or ms Hoy in Scotland.  Husband Hugh Lavell died in Scotland of TB in 1917.  Any ideas very welcome.