Author Topic: llanrhos  (Read 8239 times)

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: llanrhos
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 03 July 14 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,
Firstly I will go with the parish records for owen and gwen Roberts, but perhaps the rest of the family would come under st marys.Thomas born 1844 a stonemason would I was telling you about lived  at 10 Twnan tce on 1891 census and on the 1901 census Thomas is at Basildon house HHIW bank ave springbank with his family also visiting bricklayers with surnames Acres, Rees,Mcgaril don't know if you know any of these people.The John Roberts born 1663 is Llansaffraid Glan Conway and lived in Tynewydd he died aged 90 Glan Conway,he is the one who married Elizabeth Thomas at denigh. I was led to believe that Denigh was a village in glan Conway, if at all possible would you be able to find anythink about his father William Roberts who married Alicea don't know her surname but have a burial for her Alicea died 9 july 1677 glan Conway I could only find two children John 1663 and david 1665, I know david had a daughter also called Alicea is was born 22 may 1706 other than that I have on more info.
Thankyou so much for helping me, this is my fathers line who I lost a few months ago and it means a great deal to me.
Regards
Lynne

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 03 July 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

I have had a look on the 1901 Census for Thomas Robert (1844) and the address should read Basildon House, Rhiw Bank Road, Colwyn Bay, Denbighshire. These transcribers are absolute rubbish why they have put Conway, Caernarvonshire I'll never know. Rhiw Bank Road is still there but very different from 1901 when it was a lovely tree lined avenue of three storied houses and servants living in the attic. Today they are mostly flats. If you want a look at what the avenue looked like in 1909 click on this link  www.oldukphotos.com/denbighshirecolwynbaypage5.htm , Rhiw Bank Avenue is the 6th photo down on the left.
With Thomas being a Stone Mason and Acre, Mason and McGaril bricklayers from Mumbles, South Wales I would have thought they were all working together on some large construction and Thomas & Jane making even more money having them as lodgers.
As far as I'm aware I have never heard of a place called Denigh village. Glan Conway was the village. There is a village called Denbigh, Denbighshire but that is about 25 miles away, do you think that could be were your looking for? I hope you don't mind me asking but where did you get that village name from, as it could have been another error by the transcribers.

Kind Regards,

Ellen

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 04 July 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen
Where my family comes from seems to stretch over Caernarvonshire and denigbshire, I got the name from the parish records, my family line seems to finish at glan Conway and there records are under denigh. I don't know why this post didn't show up on my email address, I just happened to look at the last post and saw that you had answered.
Thankyou for your help
lynne

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 04 July 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen
What a great photo, I have printed it out to put in my file, thankyou.
Regards
Lynne

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 04 July 14 15:52 BST (UK) »

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 04 July 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

I think you'll find Llansanffraid/Glan Conway is under Denbighshire not Denigh. Some of the enumerators just wrote Denbigh for short and I have noticed some of their writing leaves a lot to be desired, so could look like Denigh.
So pleased you liked the photo, Colwyn Bay was quite a wealthy area at that time with all the large houses, such a pity it's ended up as it has.
I did look for William & Alicia Roberts for you when you asked before on your 'Conway Parish Records' question a while ago. I found David's Baptism and a possible daughter Alicia for you, other than that I'm sorry but can't help any further with that one.
I forgot to say before how sorry I was to hear about your father, it makes finding your Ancestors all the more precious.

Take Care,

Ellen

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 05 July 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo and Ellen,
What great photos of old colwyn, it seems I didn't see much when I was there. I walked through Eirias parc across the road and up alongside a house for the walk to tynterfyn that's where my journey first started with my Grandad, I also walked along the seafront at colwyn bay I remember saying what a lovely sandy beach to my husband and we saw porpoises playing in the sea we watched them for hours me muttering to myself Im walking in my ancestors footsteps. Thankyou ladies I really enjoyed looking at the photos and Ellen thanks for the info. Do you know of any photos for graig lwyd.
regards
lynne
Regards
Lynne