Author Topic: Surname Cordial  (Read 14935 times)

Offline trudi

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname Cordial
« on: Monday 16 July 07 10:00 BST (UK) »
 Looking for any thing on the Cordial family said to come from Galway

Sarah Mary Cordial circa   1850 ?

Thanks  Trudi...

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Cordial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 07 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Trudi,

There only one Cordial listed in Griffiths Valuations for Galway ... 1855

Henry Cordial, Lakeview, Claregalway, Galway 

Christopher

Offline trudi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 07 08:51 BST (UK) »
 Christopher Thanks so much for the info  my cousin will be pleased. Rootschat always delivers..

Trudi.. :)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Trudi,
I can give you the full history of the Cordial family since i am the g.g.g grandson of sarah mary cordial. She was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and her family moved to Clare Galway circa 1840's. She married Thomas Dowling, a police constable and they moved to Dudley, then to Liverpool.
How are you related?
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline trudi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 10:06 BST (UK) »
 Hello Brian thanks for replying it is my cousin who i was looking for  her side of the family. her Mum Ellen was a Peabody and lived in Liverpool as my cousin still does Ellen had a large family 14 children in all and she married Andrew Hennelly my Mothers eldest brother they lived in Liverpool..

Trudi.. :)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Trudi,
I can give you the full history of the Cordial family since i am the g.g.g grandson of sarah mary cordial. She was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and her family moved to Clare Galway circa 1840's. She married Thomas Dowling, a police constable and they moved to Dudley, then to Liverpool.
How are you related?
Brian

Hi Brian,

That's different ... immigrants to Ireland in the mid 1800s 8) Most people tend to talk about emigrants.
I wonder if there are any published figures available for the number of immigrants during that period.

Chris

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Don't think it was a question of immigration into Ireland, as Sarah Marys father was a sergeant in the Rifle Brigade and he was born in Longford and the children were born all over the world e.g. Malta etc and when he was discharged he returned to Ireland. Why he chose Clare Galway I don't know as he was the only Cordial in the whole of Co. Galway.
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Trudy,
My mother Frances remembers her aunt Sarah Peabody and had visited her home on many occasions. I have a full history of all of Sarah mary Cordials children and of their lines to the present day. If you want a 32 page listing of them all please send me your cousins address and I will post it out to them.
Brian

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi trudi,
Should have mentioned before. Have a look on page 3 of the Galway section here. This relates to my request for info on the Cordials in Feb 2005
Brian