Author Topic: Music Shop Ballinasloe  (Read 2600 times)

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Music Shop Ballinasloe
« on: Sunday 26 May 13 19:15 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of/remember a shop in Ballinasloe c.1920/30s?
I believe that two brothers( O'Connor) kept a shop of some description in Ballinasloe during this time. They were said to make and repair musical instruments along with a whole load of other things.

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Music Shop Ballinasloe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 August 13 12:37 BST (UK) »

I checked with family in Ballinasloe and there was no one available who remembers the 30's but they did remember a Paddy O'Connor (early 1940's) who made and repaired lots of things ..they remembered clocks as they had a grandfather clock on the wall, made by Paddy,  till recently. He lived in a small cottage about two miles outside Ballinasloe on the Dublin side and that was his home, workshop and shop.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 August 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the information.
It sounds like the right person. Clocks were one of the things that I knew he messed about with. Will have to check out further next time in Ireland.
There was another brother involved but I don't have a first name for him ( possibly Peter). Have been told that one of them was an accomplished accordian player and the other played the fiddle. There is also supposed to be a plaque somewhere recording the achievement of one of them. Again visit to Ballinasloe required.
Would anyone remember if he had family?
Thanks again for your assistance.

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 August 13 17:26 BST (UK) »
I am getting very little info other than the old cottage was in either Birch Grove or Earls Park... those are present day townlands. I thought I would look at the 1911 census and neither of these places was listed then!. However, I came across this forum on Ballinasloe.com

http://www.ballinasloe.com/forum/

You could have a look and see if you would be happy posting there...at least a lot of locals would look in to that site. Sorry I could not find out more
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 August 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much again, the name Earl's Park rings a bell. Don't know what the connection is but it probably confirms the address. I will have a look at the link and see if there is any response  from there.