Author Topic: Naturalization Records' Dates of Arrival  (Read 484 times)

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naturalization Records' Dates of Arrival
« on: Sunday 30 March 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is a modified excerpt from a thread I started on the Ireland board. I thought it was worthy of being seen in the context of a specific thread.
Could it be possible that arrival dates on petitions for naturalization were intentionally stated so as to prove an immigrant's minor status upon arrival?  I have found 3 ancestors' naturalization records on the familysearch site. It has been a great resource.  However, all three recorded arrival dates that were many years earlier than I had thought. In fact, one was naturalized in 1900, the same year as a federal census. On the census, he reported arriving in 1883, and on the naturalization record (2 months later), he reported an arrival date of 1879.
 The wording on the Massachusetts naturalization record goes, "He arrived at  (city) in the United States in  (date), being then a minor, under the age of eighteen years."
That last clause about being a minor is part of the printed document. The document seems to be a standard form, as all 3 of my ancestors have the same one. Was there perhaps another form used for people who were of age at the time of their arrival?   It almost appears as if there was some benefit to have been a minor upon arrival. What that may be I couldn't hazard a guess at.
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalization Records' Dates of Arrival
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
I think this details the reason.

The Act of May 26, 1824 allowed immigrants who arrived before their 18th birthday to, upon reaching age 21, petition for naturalization without filing a prior declaration of intention.  Petitions filed under this provision are usually called "Minor Naturalizations" because they relate to individuals who arrived as a minor (but who were an adult, age 21 or older, when actually naturalized).  They are also examples of "one paper naturalizations" because no declaration was required.  Many courts combined the declaration and petition documents into a form for this document which may or may not include the word "minor" in the title. Regular forms will cite the 1824 Act.  The minor naturalization provision was often abused and was repealed in 1906.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/United_States_Naturalization_and_Citizenship

The arrival dates on the census are frequently off.  The information could have been given by another informant, or he may have sailed back and forth more than once.

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalization Records' Dates of Arrival
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 14 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. I strongly suspected something of this order was common back then. This really clarified my question!
Thanks again,
Steve
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados