Author Topic: Drumlamph House  (Read 3506 times)

Offline overmann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drumlamph House
« on: Saturday 17 October 09 02:25 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find Drumlamph House.  It is in the Castledawson area and may be another name for Fairview.  The Henry family lived at Fairview in the early/mid 1800's and my ancestors the Manns lived there in the late 1800's.  Both families also have a connection to Drumlamph House.
Ulster - Mann, Ellis, McClusky, Church, Hanson
Essex - Overall, Harvey
Norfolk - Fiddy, Clarke, Grix

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drumlamph House
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 09 09:26 BST (UK) »
There are no Manns listed in Griffith's Valuation (mid 1800s) in Drumlamph townland although there were Manns in the area.

1861 R.John Henry, Fairview, Castledawson was a magistrate-
www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PDLMT.htm

Here's a bit of the history of Drumlamph townland-
http://paulgomac.tripod.com/drumlamph/id1.html

You'll see from other pages on George's site that there are Manns listed on Castledawson War Memorial, etc. There's a link to contact him at top of page and he should have more information on Drumlamph and Manns.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline overmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey, the history of Drumlamph townland is very interesting.  The period I am looking at is about 1875 to 1910.  My gt grandfather Henry Church Mann was also a JP and magistrate and later the Baronial High Constable for Loughinsholin.  He gave his address as Drumlamph House, Castledawson on children's birth certificates, correspondence and his will, however, the Ulster Towns Directory lists it as Fairview.  I have seen Fairview House but have been unable to find any evidence of a Drumlamph House except for his references and a couple of references in postings about the Henry family (who had also lived at Fairview).  I was hoping to find if it still exists.  I'll try contacting George.
Ulster - Mann, Ellis, McClusky, Church, Hanson
Essex - Overall, Harvey
Norfolk - Fiddy, Clarke, Grix

Offline joethompson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 01:17 GMT (UK) »
i grew up in Drumlamph House .  it is now called Fairview   there is a memorial plague in our church for Henry Church Mann

i can be contacted by email (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 10:42 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors, the Henry family, lived at Dumlambf House 'till the 1860's. 

Could Fairview have been the house's original name – I certainly have family documents which mention both Fairview and Drumlambf? 

Rev Robert Henry died 1/11/1802 at Fairview
John Henry, who died in Virginia in 1809, was baptised at Fairview 11/11/1761
My great X3 grandfather, James Henry died at Fairview 24/11/1850
And my great X2 grandfather Capt Robert John Henry certainly owned the house when he died in 1866, the Letters of Administration states: "Robert John Henry late of Drumlambf House in the County of Derry". 

Capt R J Henry presented a paper to the Dublin scientific community in which he described his deep concern at the pitiable condition of the workers employed on his farm and his attempts to improve their diet. Ref:  Dublin Quarterly Journal of Science, Vol IV, Pages 83-85, Published 1864