Author Topic: Bellaghy c.1900 - online map?  (Read 9076 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bellaghy c.1900 - online map?
« on: Wednesday 03 September 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

Would anyone know of an online map of Bellaghy c.1900

I'm looking for Castledawson Street or its modern day equivalent. Specifically, the location of the Public House mentioned at "Reference to Map - 16" in the following link...

Valuation Revision Books
Image 187 of 220
VAL/12/B/34/6E

www.rootschat.com/links/019un/

Click on the image to make it a bit bigger or just click "Download".

Speaking of which... does anyone know how to directly link to the Revision Books images on the PRONI website

Regards
Beg

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bellaghy c.1900 - online map?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I dont think you can directly link to the revisions books, I tried to do it to send the details to a relative in the US and when I went back to check the links they just default to the revisions sections and not the actual page etc.......there is a street called Castle Street in Bellaghy, so don't know if that's the its new name but I'll ask my partner and mother in law as the whole family originate from their they only left in 1972 but there is also alot of family still there.

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

just spoke to my partner and he says that Castledawson Street still exists, it starts at the cross roads in Bellaghy and runs upto Castle Dawson. Yes there is a pub on it, and he thinks it was called McKenna's, but the pubs where just usually named after the person that owned them at the time and not as we know them to be named.  We do still have family there so I can ask them.

Heather

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 15:09 BST (UK) »
You can't post a link directory to a particular revision book on PRONI's site. Possibly something to do with copyright of their scans.

Here's the 1910 section for Bellaghy- publicans are listed under inhabitants but without a street address-
http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Bellaghy.php

Other directories might give more details. See Resources at top of this board.

Castle Street, Bellaghy runs from the Diamond south past Bellaghy Bawn. It is easily found via Google Maps.

'Castledawson Street' is actually Main St. then Old Town Road but locals would refer to it as the Castledawson road as it heads to Castledawson.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 14 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

Thanks very much for the replies. Good to find the current location of Castledawson Street. Google Street View even has a pub in about the right place on Main Street. Wonder if it's the same one :-)

Another Bellaghy question please... do you think the burial records for the RC cemetery would go back as far as the 1860's. I've looked at the irishgraveyards.ie website and 99% of the Bellaghy Cemetery burials are from the last fifty or so years. I'm helping a friend of a friend of a descendant of the publican I mentioned earlier. She knows several WALSHs died in Bellaghy through the latter part of the 19th century and wondered if there would have been any surviving burial record.

---

Is there an NI-based Rootschatter who does PRONI lookups. There are two related entries in the Pre-1858 Wills index I'd like a look at. I was wondering if it's worth starting a PRONI lookup request thread or if that was bad form.

Thanks again
Beg

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 September 14 12:01 BST (UK) »
Most Catholic churches didn't keep burial records but you could try contacting them to ask 1) what records they have & how far back and 2) suggestions for earlier Catholic burials.

Have you tried tracking the property forward through the Valuation Revision books?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 September 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

Another Bellaghy question please... do you think the burial records for the RC cemetery would go back as far as the 1860's. I've looked at the irishgraveyards.ie website and 99% of the Bellaghy Cemetery burials are from the last fifty or so years. I'm helping a friend of a friend of a descendant of the publican I mentioned earlier. She knows several WALSHs died in Bellaghy through the latter part of the 19th century and wondered if there would have been any surviving burial record.

---

Is there an NI-based Rootschatter who does PRONI lookups. There are two related entries in the Pre-1858 Wills index I'd like a look at. I was wondering if it's worth starting a PRONI lookup request thread or if that was bad form.

I have done some research involving a family that attended that church. I am fairly sure that someone with access to the church's records has compiled a very detailed database of the graves in both sections of the graveyard. I am sure its on-line somewhere (free) but can't immediately locate it. So I would definitely e-mail the parish to see what they have got.

If you send me a PM, I may be able to help you with the PRONI look ups.
Elwyn

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:00 BST (UK) »

Offline Bannerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 September 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

Would anyone know of an online map of Bellaghy c.1900

I'm looking for Castledawson Street or its modern day equivalent. Specifically, the location of the Public House mentioned at "Reference to Map - 16" in the following link...

On http://www.osi.ie/Home.aspx there are overlays of maps from the present day back to 19th century maps for the entire island of Ireland.
Derry / Londonderry - McCready, McGruddy, Carlin, McShane, Wilson, Cleary, Crockett
Castlederg - Baxter, Wilson
Inishowen - Callaghan, Duffy, Blieu, Grant, Coyle
Delta County, MI, USA - Cleary
Boston - Ballou
Nova Scotia - Ballou

"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"