Author Topic: Old Church Yard of Brechin  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Church Yard of Brechin
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 04:46 BST (UK) »
I have burial records from Deceased Online of my Gr Grandfather and Gr Grandmother in the 1870's both in 'The Old Church Yard of Brechin'.  They are buried on the 'East' side with a notation which appears to read 'C' Row No. 4.  Does anyone know where this cemetery is?  Is it part of the Brechin Cathedral grounds?  Also does anyone know if there is a website for this burial ground showing locations to see if I can see if there is a headstone or marker?
Thank you
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Old Church Yard of Brechin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 14 09:03 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where this cemetery is?  Is it part of the Brechin Cathedral grounds?
Yes.

Also does anyone know if there is a website for this burial ground showing locations to see if I can see if there is a headstone or marker?
Does Deceased Online not have cemetery plans?

If not, the answer to your question is no.

There is a plan in the booklet of monumental inscriptions, but this lists only stones mentioning at least one person buried there before 1855, so it won't list your people unless they were added to a family grave with a pre-existing headstone.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. 

The home page says it does have cemetery plans but there is no link to it and the search results didn't include a plan.  I did pay for the information, and there was no extra add-on that popped up to say there was further information if I wanted it.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 14 12:51 BST (UK) »
Suppose that means that Angus council don't have a map, or maybe they omitted to send it to Deceased Online. You could always try e-mailing either or both to ask.

I have a copy of the pre-1855 MIs and can always look for your folk just on the off-chance that they are there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 October 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, one died in 1870 and the other in 1879.  I discovered last night their 2 daughters also died in 1871 (11) and 1877 (21).  I got their death certificates from Scotlandspeople - I didn't look for them (the daughters) on Deceased Online.  The daughters are probably in the same area of the cemetery.  Now I know that it is the Brechin Cathedral site, if I ever get there at least I have 'East' 'Row 4' and the plot numbers so hopefully could find the piece of ground.  I was a bit surprised as the mum and dad never married and the 3 children's birth certificates all say 'illegitimate'. The father had previously been married to the sister of the woman he had these children with - presumably after the death of the first wife. (Haven't been able to find the first wife's death.  The motherinlaw and sisterinlaw are shown living in the household with the family, prior to the wife not appearing anymore). The son survived and emigrated to Australia, married, and is my line.  I thought illegitimacy would have been frowned on back then, but they were still buried in the church grounds!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 October 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, one died in 1870 and the other in 1879.  I discovered last night their 2 daughters also died in 1871 (11) and 1877 (21).  I got their death certificates from Scotlandspeople - I didn't look for them (the daughters) on Deceased Online.  The daughters are probably in the same area of the cemetery.  Now I know that it is the Brechin Cathedral site, if I ever get there at least I have 'East' 'Row 4' and the plot numbers so hopefully could find the piece of ground.
If I were you I think I'd still contact the council because if there is no stone you won't be able to find the right spot.

I was a bit surprised as the mum and dad never married and the 3 children's birth certificates all say 'illegitimate'. The father had previously been married to the sister of the woman he had these children with - presumably after the death of the first wife.

Have a look online for "marriage with deceased wife's sister" but be aware that the law in Scotland was not the same as in England, so don't be misled by references to 'British Law'. There was and is no such thing in relation to marriage.

Could it be that the earlier wife had simply left him rather than died, so in the eyes of the law he was still married?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 October 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, ok thanks for that.  It may be a long time before I get to Scotland, but when I do I want to have as much information as possible when I go to each place of ancestry significance.

Thank you for referring me online to "marriage with deceased wife's sister".  Very interesting.

[Could it be that the earlier wife had simply left him rather than died, so in the eyes of the law he was still married? ] 

I am wondering that myself. 

Donald McDonald and Margaret Sinclair married in November 1838 in Brechin.

Margaret, her mother Isabella (55) and sister Ann (15) are with him in the 1841 census with a 6 year old child George Pilmer who Margaret brought to the marriage with her. (There is an 1836 record of James Pilmer and Margaret Sinclair having an illegitimate child, George Pilmer.) 

In the 1851 census Margaret is no longer listed in the household. Isabella and Ann are still there. There is a son Charles 8 - by Margaret with Donald, born August 1842.  George Pilmer is listed again - aged 15 and is now called stepson.  I wouldn't have thought Margaret would have taken off and left him, but I suppose its possible.

By 1861 Donald's mother in law is no longer living in the household, but there are now 2 daughters - Scotlandspeople records that their father is Donald, mother Ann Sinclair. The deaths I mentioned in my first post that I have records for - are Donald, Ann and their 2 daughters Georgina and Isabella Jnr - all in the 1870s. 

Its been a twisted tale, part of which being that it appears Donald had a twin sister, Margaret McDonald who had a 'lawful' son, John Bain to James Bain in 1850.  John appears in the Donald McDonald household in the 1851 census as 'nephew' aged 1, and again in the 1861 census aged 11 - this time as 'son'.  Either Donald's sister Margaret and her husband James had died or they have 'disappeared' too.  Both Margarets are McDonalds at some stage of their lives, but I have been unable to find out what happened to them. 

Apologies for all the names and dates, but just in case someone has the inclination to go digging - it will save going over old ground - and also explains some twists and turns.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 October 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
I looked up McDonald and Sinclair in the pre-1855 MI book, and there is no inscription listed in Brechin Cathedral Kirkyard for your McDonald/Sinclair family.