Author Topic: Smallwoods Family  (Read 13077 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Smallwoods Family
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 February 14 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Was re-visiting the 'Samuel Smallwood/s and Margaret Anne Deans' grouping, as realised I hadn't really followed through on the 'Deans' part before.

Anyhow, we know from her marriage at Lower Cumber that Margaret Anne's dad was a Samuel Deans. I am now wondering if perhaps he was the  Samuel Deans who married Matilda Hagan at Lower Cumber Presbyterian Church on 31st May 1859 - son of a Samuel Deans.

Matilda Deans appears as a widow in 1901 and 1911 Census for Oughtagh townland, which is in the Parish of Lower Cumber.  With her are her married daughter Eliza J (so a possible younger sister to Margaret Anne) and her husband and family:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Oughtagh/1528265/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Oughtagh/599200/

Possible death for Samuel Deans under Limavady district in 1893 or Londonderry district 1900 would tie with Matilda being a widow at 1901.

Eliz J Deans, father Samuel, married a Thomas Smallwood/s in 1890. His father was a Joseph, so Thomas was possibly the one born at Lower Cumber in 1863 to Joseph Smallwoods and Margaret Brown (mmmmm....now also wondering if 'Brown' was a bad transcript of 'Bovaird', as have not previously come across a Smallwood/s to Brown marriage in area, but we know a Joseph Smallwood/s, son of a Thomas Smallwood/s, married a Margaret Bovaird in the C of I at Lower Cumber in 1857 and it would seem that Thomas born 1863 was also recorded in the C of I records):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5PK-GJ3

Thoughts on the foregoing from any who have looked at the 'Deans' part of the line would be welcome.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 February 14 12:14 GMT (UK) »
After some further digging around this morning.... ;D.....baptism records confirm Samuel Deans and Matilda Hagan did indeed have a daughter, Margaret Ann, born 1860. Looks like between her and Eliza Jane b 1870 they also had a William, James and Isabella.

Possibly another son:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRHT-NBD

also, Familysearch have some of the children mentioned in my first paragraph above, transcribed as 'Deens', albeit elsewhere have them as Dean/s.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 March 14 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Eliz J Deans, father Samuel, married a Thomas Smallwood/s in 1890. His father was a Joseph, so Thomas was possibly the one born at Lower Cumber in 1863 to Joseph Smallwoods and Margaret Brown (mmmmm....now also wondering if 'Brown' was a bad transcript of 'Bovaird', as have not previously come across a Smallwood/s to Brown marriage in area, but we know a Joseph Smallwood/s, son of a Thomas Smallwood/s, married a Margaret Bovaird in the C of I at Lower Cumber in 1857 and it would seem that Thomas born 1863 was also recorded in the C of I records):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5PK-GJ3

Looking more and more likely that the Margaret 'Brown' mentioned above, was indeed 'Margaret Bovaird,' as Thomas Smallwoods, who married Eliza Jane Deans, had a daughter baptised in 1899 at Glendermot Church of Ireland, and her full name was Margaret Bovaird Smallwoods!

Offline Hatchetman61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 April 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
Have this connection in my husband's family tree:
Henry/Harry Smallwood (b.c1894 probably Co.Derry) m.(c1920) Annette Christie (born c1896 Drumadreen?, Limavady area). Son William born c1924- not sure if there were other children.
1920 Census- Chicago, Illinois: Harry Smallwood is a fireman with railroad? He to U.S.1914 and wife Annette to U.S. 1913.
1930 Census- Chicago, Illinois: Henry Smallwood is now engineer with __ railway, to U.S. 1915. Wife Annette also to U.S. 1915.
1956 Harry & Annette still living in Chicago area.

I have some details may relate to this branch -
William Smallwoods (born c1860 and died between 1901 & 1911 censuses) married a Rebecca Moore (born c1857) Scriggan Presbyterian, Dungiven 7/8/1879 -
Margaret (born 26/6/1880) who married a David Hutton on 27/12/1900, Bovevagh Presbyterian, with children Martha Jane (born c1903), Maggie (born c1904) and Annie (born c1906) per 1911 census living at Ardinarive, Straw
John (born 23/11/1882)
Samuel (born 17/7/1885)
Elizabeth Rebecca (born 12/3/1888)
Herbert (born 15/7/1889)
Henry (born 11/1/1892) - is this the Henry emigrated to USA?
Annie Mary (born 7/5/1894)
William (born 12/2/1897)

I have suspicions that William (who married Rebecca Moore) may be from the following -
Joseph Smallwoods married Margaret Bovaird at Holy Trinity COI, Cumber Lower on 1/9/1857 -
William (born 30/11/1860) at Brackfield and baptised at Lower Cumber COI 27/1/1861
Thomas (born 11/2/1863) again at Brackfield and baptised at Lower Cumber on 29/3/1863
Samuel (born 21/12/1864) baptised at Lower Cumber on 26/3/1865)

My tree "starts" with a Samuel Smallwoods marrying an Elizabeth Dollas on 17/12/1857 @ Dungiven Presbyterian Church and I wonder if Joseph (who marries Margaret Bovaird) is his brother?

Offline Hatchetman61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 April 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey again, I see your Henry arrived May 11th 1914 and gives his place of birth as Boveva, Limavady and notes his mother, Rebecca Smallwoods,  as being his nearest relative in country he has left.

A Martha Smallwoods, also of Boveva, goes to America later in 1914 (October 19th). She notes her father as nearest relative and names him as James Smallwoods of Boveva.

Maybe they were brother and sister, if so, then you have both parents' names.

I believe this Martha may be the daughter of James Smallwoods who married Mary Elizabeth Nutt on 25/1/1881 at Bovevagh Presbyterian and who are on the 1901 and 1911 censuses in Bovevagh.
Children - William James b 17/6/1882
Maggie b Dec Qtr 1884
Mary Eliza b 10/6/1887
Martha b 28/4/1889
Robert John b 20/1/1893
Alfred P b Sept Qtr 1896.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 April 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Hatchetman61
I have suspicions that William (who married Rebecca Moore) may be from the following -
Joseph Smallwoods married Margaret Bovaird at Holy Trinity COI, Cumber Lower on 1/9/1857 -
William (born 30/11/1860) at Brackfield and baptised at Lower Cumber COI 27/1/1861

Wasn't the father of the William who married Rebecca Moore also a William? 

I thought this may be Joseph's son, William:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Lismacarrol/1539434/

and that William's wife is Mary Eliza (some sources suggest Louisa) Park/e (note she was born in America).

Offline Hatchetman61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 April 14 06:30 BST (UK) »
"Wasn't the father of the William who married Rebecca Moore also a William? 

I thought this may be Joseph's son, William:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Lismacarrol/1539434/

and that William's wife is Mary Eliza Park (note she was born in America)."

You could well be right, I do not have the precise marriage details for William and Rebecca Moore. 
This was outside my immediate family tree and I have a lot of "mini" Smallwoods' trees. 
I do have details of the William who married Eliza and it could be Joseph's son.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 April 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
I have a lot of "mini" Smallwoods' trees. 

A veritable forest in the making.   ;D