Author Topic: Steam engine?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Steam engine?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

your dad may have been in the Durham's but that looks very much like a fusilier badge to me.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I had wondered about a gun, but thought better of it?

"A trunnion is a cylindrical protrusion used as a mounting point.

In steam engines, they are supporting gudgeon pins on either side of an oscillating steam cylinder. They are usually tubular and convey steam."

Could be either one?

A Northumberland Fusilier badge - mmmm?  Maybe I'm wrong.  As I said I know very little about dad's early years - I am actually waiting for his army file to arrive.  Might help me a lot.

Linda

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I vote for a gun- I found a picture in a book of a 60 pounder field gun and the pivot and wooden wheels look very similar. There's a photo of one if you look at "60 pounder" on Wikipaedia (can't do natty links yet :) )although the one in the book is a bit clearer.
Fred

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the suggestions etc.  So if it was a gun, it could be WW I or II.  I was just hoping to connect it somehow to family.

Linda

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 November 07 16:47 GMT (UK) »

Stick to WW1  ;)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 November 07 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  I feel very out of my depth here!

Offline oldjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 December 07 22:36 GMT (UK) »
The cap badge is not RE (Sappers).  I'm ex RE
Beat in Notts. Hudson in Lincs. Griffiths in Gloucs. Heald in Notts. Richardson in Notts.  Carter in Lincoln. Major in Notts/lincoln. Mason in Notts. Patfield in Dudley.  Poole in Dawley Shrops and Cannock Staffs. Richardson in Notts/lincs. Roe in Lincs. Stuart in Birmingham and Staffsa. Craddock in Wall, Lichfield Staffs Rose in Norton Canes Staffs

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 December 07 01:44 GMT (UK) »
The badge is either Royal Welch Fusiliers, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Munster Fusiliers, or as has already been suggested, Northumberland Fusiliers.

The jacket he is wearing is a standard issue khaki drill fatigue jacket, worn to protect the uniform, or in warmer climes, on its own.

Traction engines were used to pull he big guns in WW1, and it's from these that tanks were developed.

I don't think it is the 60 lb'er that has been suggested, the bits on the side and top are quite different.

Also of note is that he is not wearing puttees.

I would have expected to see part of a funnel if it was an engine, and the piston type bits do look like a large artillery piece. Bu of course one cannot rule out an engine due to the weedy looking wheels which would have been a bit forlorn in supporting a huge gun

Now, why was an infantryman pictured with such an item??? We can't see his collars to see if there is a Labour bn badge there, so was he just on fatigues, just passing and thought it a good photo op, or what???

I must say that there are plenty of pics of me in/with bits of kit that I really shouldn't be with, so any descendants of mine will have a hard time working out what I've been up to!! One of the best ones is full scarlets....with a UN beret!!! And of course the requisite helicopters, tanks, and  captured kit!!!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.