Author Topic: Christina Barclay Drummond b. 28 Sep 1899  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Christina Barclay Drummond b. 28 Sep 1899
« on: Sunday 30 November 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

I think I may have been down this road in the past, but I'm still looking for an answer  :-\

Christina's father, William Elder Drummond b. 21 Sep 1877 was a granduncle of mine. He married Christian Doig in Kilconquhar, Fife on 9 Jun 1899 and he emigrated to Canada on 10 Oct 1929:
Sailed from Greenock on board the S.S. "Duchess of Richmond" on 5 Oct 1929 and arrived, a landed immigrant, at Québec, Canada on 11 Oct 1929 - to friend John Murdoch, 112 Strathan Street West, Hamilton, Ontario. Next of kin Wife: Christina Drummond, 7 South Street, Methil and a note "Wife and four children to follow"

Christian followed in 1930:
Sailed from Greenock on board the S.S. "Duchess of York" on 28 June 1930 with her daughter Margaret and son Stephen and arrived, a landed immigrant, at Québec, Canada on 4 Jul 1930 - to Husband: Mr Drummond, c/o MacMillan, 46 Broch Street, Hamilton, Ontario. Next of Kin Mrs Christine Johnstone, 2 Bowhouse Place, Methilhill, Fife

I have them both in the 1940 Canada Voters List for Wentworth, Ontario Residing at 1315 Cannon Street

Daughter Christina Barclay Drummond married George Johnstone on 18 Jun 1920 in St John's United Free Church Manse, Leven, Fife.  George, son of David Johnstone and Isabella Duncan, was born 20 Apr 1898 at 71 Carlow Place, Leven. Christina is noted as next of kin in her mother's emigration voyage record (above) living at 2 Bowhouse Place, Methilhill, Fife.

Can anyone help me with what happened to Christina and George after that?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Barclay Drummond b. 28 Sep 1899
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 December 14 00:36 GMT (UK) »
If Christina & George remained in Scotland, their deaths will be found on Scotlands People which is a pay per view site via purchase of credits.

If either died up to 1963, copies of their death certs can be downloaded.  After then, you would have to apply by post

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 December 14 05:43 GMT (UK) »
You might try 'Friends from the Wemyss' forum
http://globalteam.co.uk/fftw/forums/
It is likely that Christina and George Johnstone have living decendants, someone might reply that lives locally around Leven. I found my living relatives here,  Johnstone and Drummond are common names around Leven/Wemyss/Buckhaven
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
If Christina & George remained in Scotland, their deaths will be found on Scotlands People which is a pay per view site via purchase of credits.

If either died up to 1963, copies of their death certs can be downloaded.  After then, you would have to apply by post

Hi CarolW

I visit the Scotlands People Centre in Edinburgh about once a month and have tried, without luck so far, to find anything more for George and Christina - hence my post  :)
Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 14 08:06 GMT (UK) »
You might try 'Friends from the Wemyss' forum
http://globalteam.co.uk/fftw/forums/
It is likely that Christina and George Johnstone have living decendants, someone might reply that lives locally around Leven. I found my living relatives here,  Johnstone and Drummond are common names around Leven/Wemyss/Buckhaven

Thanks whiteout7 - I'll give it a go!

Chiad Fhear

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 December 14 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi A,

I found your Christina  ;D

Name: Christina B Johnstone
Arrival Date: Aug 1947
Port of Arrival: Niagara Falls, New York, USA
Accompanied By: Husband George Son David
Birth Date: abt 1905
Birth Place: Eileshire
Birth Country: Scotland

Source Citation: National Archives and Records Administration; Washington, D.C.; Manifests of Alien Arrivals at Buffalo, Lewiston, Niagara Falls, and Rochester, New York, 1902-1954; National Archives Microfilm Publication: M1480; Roll: 060; Record Group Title: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; Record Group Number: 85.

Have emailed it to you.

A M.

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 December 14 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Well done AMMACK :) you're a wee star!

Happy Christmas and a Guid New Year!  Maybe see you in Edinburgh again sometime!

Chiad Fhear

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 December 14 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi CF,

I was unable to read much on that document I sent. Does it give David's age, occupation or anything?

Have you considered a possible divorce/separation between the said 2 & a possible re-marriage for Christina or her reverting back to her maiden name & the possibility of whoever registered her death not knowing anything of her previous marital details i.e. her death registered in her maiden name???

A M
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 December 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again ammack

I reckon the date on the Border Crossing form was August 1942 which ties in with Christina's y.o.b. of 1899. The exact date is lost in the scratch. With that result, I'm "turning my Ancestry subscription up a wee bit" to get access to several results that I've noticed there.

It would appear Christina did a bit of travelling so there may be a lot more to find.

Husband George and son David were just noted in the top corner, so I may yet find individual Border Crossing records for them too.

I'll keep digging around the tree roots  ;)

Chiad Fhear