Author Topic: 1841/1851 Census-John Roots (Born Pinner area)  (Read 601 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1841/1851 Census-John Roots (Born Pinner area)
« on: Saturday 19 April 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
Looking for John Roots in 1841 and 1851- born c 1810 in Pinner area -living in Harrow weald area around mid 1850s.

Possibly with a wife called Charlotte - born Northolt.

All help really appreciated!

Caroline (nee Roots)
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 Census-John Roots (Born Pinner area)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 April 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This could be him in 1841:

John Roots (30), Charlotte (25) with Sarah (7), Hannah (6), Charlotte (2) and Mary Ann (0); living at "Hamlet of Weald, Harrow".  John shown as ag. lab.

1851:

John Roots (41), wife Charlotte (38), children Charlotte (12), Mary (10), Daniel (7), Emma (5) and Eliza (0); living at Harrow. John shown as gardener.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 April 14 13:45 BST (UK) »
That would seem to be spot on! Thank you!
I have tried unsuccessfully to locate a marriage for John and Charlotte and also a birth/baptism for John- do you have any ideas ? i have tried via IGI and Ancestry but not much luck so far.

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 April 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline

No, no ideas, but will this do?   ;D

Harrow #330
29th May 1833            (Apparently a Wednesday)
John Roots, Bachelor
Charlotte Kiff, Spinster
in presence of
James Goodman
Sarah Goodman
All signed with X mark.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yy3/

Banns say ROOTES
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yy6/

Charlotte Kiff
baptism 11th April 1813
d/o James & Elizabeth
Northolt (Northall)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yy4/

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 April 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much Ray!! Spot on- really appreciate your help :)
Happy Easter
:)

caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census-John Roots (Born Pinner area)
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 April 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
now here is my challenge- my Roots family all seem to come from Essex/East End area. My grandad Charles Roots was born in 1890 in Bethnal Green- his father Joseph Roots came from Berners roding/Dunmow area of Essex. I am researching Charles roots WW1 records- he was a Private with the Norfolk regiment in the battle of Arras in 1917. Strangely in the same war diaries for the same Norfolk regiment I have found George Arthur Roots who was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre in April 1918. The Edinburgh Gazette cites Corporal George arthur Roots Norfolk regiment (Pinner Green),
George Arthur Roots was a son of John Edward Roots and grandson of John and Charlotte Roots (of this research). Whilst John Roots (born Pinner 1810) and son John Edawrd roots (born Harrow- near pinner) are in this area of London, John Edward has at leats 4 children- 3 are born in harrow or willesden- but starngely son George Arthur is shown as being born in Loughton - Essex.  My challenge is toi find out why George Arthur was born so far away from his siblings- but clearly in the area of my Roots line! It all seems too much of a coincidence that my Grandfather Charles Roots- and George Arthur Roots- were in the same Regiment and in the same WW1 battles at the same time- I have my Grandads trench diaries which correspond to the Nat Archives war Diaries for the Regiment- and there is George Arthur Roots mentioned for his decoration around the same time that my Grandfather is being returned home as wounded.
Is there any way I can find out any more about the birth of George Arthur Roots in Loughton? Surely there must have been some family connection in essex- but I cannot find it at the moment!
Frustratingly close but up against a wall- any ideas?
caroline

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 April 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
Could it just be that dad's job as a gardener took the family to Loughton Essex for a short while,hence George Arthur being born there.

Maybe his birth cert would give you more of a clue?

I see they christened him on 12th Oct 1890 (2 months old) at Kings Walden, Hertfordshire.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 April 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
You could well be right! I think I need to investigate John Roots (b c 1810) to try and build a wider picture- thank you for your reply ;)
C