Author Topic: Can anyone help me with some BC lookups?  (Read 10506 times)

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me with some BC lookups?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 00:08 BST (UK) »
I picked up 10 records from the library today. Included are 6 marriages which Debbie identified in post #2. It was a help having these records since ages, place of birth, and parent's names are shown for both parties.
I got 4 death records as follows: George William Atkinson, 1965;Annie Atkinson, 1984; John Willie Fairhurst, 1961; Rosamond Fairhurst, 1935.
If you send me a PM with your email address I will send them to you. I think they all will be of interest to you but I didn't check carefully.
John

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 03:32 BST (UK) »
You are an invaluable resource John for anyone searching for ancestors in BC - I think this group is lucky to have your input.

Debbie

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much John, I am pm'ing you with my email address.

I look forward to seeing the additional details of parents' names etc., which will all add to the info I have.

It's the mysterious John Willie who continues to be a problem!  Must have been some family feud or something, if he and his wife came to Vancouver from Lancashire, lived just round the corner from five of his sisters, but his neice never heard he was there.  Hmmm.

thank you to all for your interest :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 October 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for all the help with my Fairhurst family researches.

I now have another query and request for help with the same family.

You have filled in the story of John Willie Fairhurst, who I believe came to Vancouver in about 1912 and married for a second time there after his wife Rosamond's death in 1935, and finally died in White Rock in 1961.

However, after having got access to the 1911 England Census, I find that he had a daughter, Violet Ellen Fairhurst, born 1904 in Bolton, Lancashire, who came to Canada with her mother Rosamond in 1912.

Violet Ellen Fairhurst married Percy William Walsh in 1924 (details from the BC website  1924-09-273214 B13747 (GSU # 2074317)), and died in 1938 in West Summerland 1938-09-544034 B13162 (GSU # 1953195)

If it is possible for anyone to look up this death certificate for me and find out any more details, I'd be hugely grateful.

Also, though the BC Website is very useful, it won't tell me if Violet and Percy had any children.  Is there any way I could find this out?

Thank you for anything you can find out for me.

;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 October 09 18:50 BST (UK) »
Well, there won't be a child informant ( only married 14 years) as she died so young, it will be her husband who likely is the informant on her death...She isn't buried where he is, although I can't find her at all, so her cemetery may not be transcribed yet
WALSH, Percy William   Royal Oak Burial Park - Grove   Victoria, Falaise Drive   Vancouver Island   VGS-ROBP-MRK
There are dozens of Walsh under the same cem section # VGS-ROBP-MRK
http://www.islandnet.com/bccfa/search.php

added: Here is her place of internment Summerland Peach Orchard Cemetery...the only Walsh
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okcemeteries/page24.html
Your best bet is to find someone to do a lookup for the obit after June 16th in 1938

We had a few online newspaper archives, but they seem to be removed
Can try contacting here to see if they have an archive
http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/summerlandreview/

It seems he didn't remarry so perhaps if you can't find her obit... his death might have a child mentioned
Percy William Walsh  Victoria    Reg. 1975-09-015662 - Age:  71 -   Oct. 22, 1975      B13346   (GSU # 2050528)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 October 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you JJ that's really great, I see what you mean about the Walsh names in the Royal Burial Park on Vancouver Island.

Thank you also for the suggestions as to how to find out about children of Violet and Percy.

:)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 October 09 00:12 BST (UK) »
I will pick up the two death records and the marriage record in the next day or so. I don't, however, have ready access to the Victoria newpapers to check for an obituary.

John

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 October 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »
John, that is very kind of you.  Thank you very much

I am pleased to advise that my contact in Canada has had an EUREKA moment, and finally worked out who these relatives are, from knowing Violet and Percy Walsh in West Summerland, whom she visited in the 1930's when she was a small girl.  I thought you might enjoy hearing what she said about this.  She refers to her brother Ken, who was born in 1925, so I suppose Violet and Percy must have had a son Jack or John in about 1925, and then a daughter, and then a younger son.

"My brother Ken was the sickly one in the family, always had lung problems, and was sent (the "aunties" plotted this one out too, I'm sure)
 to spend a summer with the Walsh family in Summerland which has a very dry climate, and they had kids his age - Jackie (after grandad
 I guess) and a girl who's name escapes me now, and I think a younger son. Aside from that though, I must tell you about my adventure there.
 My mother and I - I must have been 5 or 6 yrs. (I didn't realize, or forgot that Violet died in 1938 - when I was 7.) travelled by the Kettle Valley
 Railway-  very much like the railways you used to see in old Western Movies,  and now quite famous for that, but just a tourist attraction. My very first
 train trip.  It is so clear in my mind - it must have made a great impression on me.  We shared a seat with a teen  or pre-teen girl, I remember,
 who had two glass jars on her seat beside her, one contained strawberries  and the  other - tadpoles, and she had a long fork, like a pickle
 fork, which,every once in a while, she would dip into the strawberries.  I must have been quite fascinated, I remember it so well, and watched her I
think for most of what must have been a 12 or so hour trip. (Maybe 4 or 5 hrs now by auto from Vancouver ), wondering if she would start on
the tadpoles I think, or make a mistake with the jars!  I have never forgotten that.
They were really nice people.  I remember being told Violet was my cousin, but couldn't get a handle on that, she just seemed way too old, as
I told my mom.   Fred and I have travelled through, even spent a night  in Summerland,  I always had to stop and look through telephone
directories but no Walshes. I remember someone telling me that "Jackie" lived in Vancouver and worked in a bank that was when I was still single
and lived at home in Vancouver,   a long time ago now."

Many thanks to you all for your interest  :)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 October 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I picked up the three records. On the death record for Percy William Walsh, his status was widower with wife's name given as Hilda Robinson. I was wondering at first whether this was the same Percy, but the parent's names match the marriage record so am pretty sure it is. The informant was his daughter, but it appears she signed using a married name and it is difficult to read.
There is a 1955 death in the B.C. Index for Hilda Robinson Walsh, age 35 which I can look at and get if it is the right person.

Your previous post about family visits to Summerland and the Kettle Valley Railway is very interesting.

I sent previous records to you in August. I have the email address I used then and will send these records to that address.

John