Author Topic: Ferdinando Cole son of William & Mary in Millom  (Read 1231 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ferdinando Cole son of William & Mary in Millom
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hallo again,

Alice Cole is my friend's grandmother and therefore I knew that Alice Cole b 1875 registered at Ulverston was the daughter of Ferdinando Cole and that her mother was Jane. The marriage of Ferdinando Cole and Jane Lowes was on LDS site: 14 Nov 1860 Bolton, Cumberland and the groom's father was William Cole. Ref: M043044. It is also on FreeMBD. 1860/4 Wigton 10B/681.This therefore discounted the Ferdinando Cole who married Mary Wilson. The father of that Ferdinando was Thomas Cole.

I have no certificates at all; I live in Orkney and my only real access to info is the Internet - Ancestry, LDS, FreeBMD etc. I do have all the baptisms of the Cole children, obtained from the LDS site, but thank you for passing them on too and confirming them.

I obviously had not searched hard enough for the family in 1841 and I agree that what you have found looks very likely. I will pursue that.

It's really William Cole's birth/parents I am after - and those of his wife, Mary Gibson.  However, now that you have passed on that 1841 info, that gives me a birth year around which to search.

I'm sorry if my opening post was a bit confusing. I try to be as brief and succinct as possible and yet at the same time reveal what info I do have. People are so helpful on this forum and I feel awful when they then send me info I already have. So thank you all for your replies so far.

Suzie

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for confirming I have picked up the correct family

I note you are on the Orkneys, did you know that the years are not digitalised consecuetively which is probably why we have the 1802 - 1808 gap!

There is a familysearch resource centre on the Orkneys?

https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator?cid=hp2-1047

As you realise there is a limited amount of information to be gleaned from the internet, particularly if the records have not been digitalized. At the familysearch centres you can order the Parish Register films for BMD of St Georges Milllom for a small fee ( used to be free) They will also copy the information you require again a small fee

You and your friend will then be able to 'page turn' extracting all references to the surname COLE building up the family tree. There may be local notes in the margin indicating which COLE member they are.
I would start with baptisms from the date of marriage of William 1802, filling in the blank years, moving to deaths so you are left with living children to 'marry off'

Did you know if you put the surname and place in say the 1841 census search box say COLE / MIllom it will bring up all the persons with that name so you will be able to build family units....

If the marriage is by licence you need to obtain this from the RO

Jx
Have a look at this site lancashireopc.org

PPS Marriage entries may lead to other family members as in witnesses.......

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hallo J, Apologies for late acknowledgement - had a busy day!

Unfortunately there is no family search centre in Orkney. The nearest one is Inverness on the mainland - a long drive and ferry-ride away. So, no, I won't be going there! However, I think the Kirkwall Library has links and may be able to order to film for me. I'll give them a try.

I'll also have a look at that other site you mentioned.

Many thanks to you - and others - who responded so promptly to my request and gave me new information which I can use to make progress. I always seem to learn so much from people like you so thank you!

Kind regards
Suzie