Author Topic: 49 west square, a southwark pub?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline sarahLB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
49 west square, a southwark pub?
« on: Wednesday 07 July 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
hi - on leaving the workhouse an ancestor leaves to live at 49 west square southwark. He lives there from 1919 until his death in 1932. Having googled the address i found it was a pub in the victorian era, I cant find any information as to when and if it stopped being a pub.

Does anyone know anything about this pub? Property prices are now very very high in this area which is ironic as the ancestor in question was in and out of the workhouse for most of his adult life!
thanks in advance for your help
sarah

Offline jane l

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 49 west square, a southwark pub?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
hi i guess you may have found what you were looking for but if not  i did find a little info out just in case.  have a look at deadpubs.co.uk this site names 49 west square as being - city arms which if you look alittle deeper into the site does not have any publican at 49 west square in 1934   but there is in 1910 sorry that is all i found hope it maybe of use  :-\
Lowcock-Greasbrough
Morris-Derbyshire/Greasbrough/Hatfield
Chipp-Isle of wight/Mexborough/Derbyshire
Wallace+Wylie-Derbyshire
Rhoadhouse+Sellars-Greasbrough
Rickman-Hampshire New Forest+Johnson Hampshire/South Shields
Phillips/Carpenter-Lymington Hampshire
Goodwin+Beaney-Lewisham/Kent
Sayers-London/East Grinstead

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

There maybe some info on here http://deadpubs.co.uk/LondonPubs/LondonPubIndex.shtml

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline georgia841

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

What do already know is that my grandmother started working at the City Arms as a Barmaid from (just before) 1907 until her death in 1922. The pub itself was damaged considerably when a 1,000lb bomb fell in the area (that is the entrance to the semi-basement) of number 53. Only the terrace was rebuilt after the War. The pub was apparently owned or managed by the Mills family. Draymen would drink here after they finished work in the day.

While searching google for information on the pub itself, I found your post here!
I too am unable to find further information on the City Arms...
Interested though as your ancestor lived there around the same time that my great grandmother was a Barmaid at the same place! Did your ancestor manage or own the pub? I'm very interested in speaking further with you! (*)
Hope to hear from you soon!
Georgia

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php